Cake Boxes, What Sizes Do I Order?

Business By mo_like_it Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm by moxey2000

mo_like_it Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_like_it Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 15

I am close to opening my business, and am trying to decide about packaging for cakes and cupcakes. I have my wholesale account set up, but what size boxes should I order for start-up?! Buying by the case is somewhat expensive upfront, with all the other start-up supplies that I need. I don't want to buy a case of boxes that I might not need often. What are the most popular sizes for birthday/occasion cakes?

14 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 15

10" boxes for an 8" cake. I'd think you'd use a lot of those.

mo_like_it Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks Leah_s! I was thinking 10" and 12" for now. Do the cake boards/circles fit in the wholesaler boxes better than the crappy Wilton ones? (I'm ordering through CK.) Also, what do you use for stacked cakes?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 15

I've never used the crappy Witon boxes. I generally stay away from crappy Wilton products. icon_smile.gif

For a two tier, I just tape the box lid semi-open. If I'm delivering I never box. Sometimes if the customers insists on a box, I'll pick up something at the office supply store, and use it sideways.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 15

Oh, hell yeah, stay away from wilton boxes! icon_surprised.gif

I buy 10" boxes by the case. I can put 6 and 8" cakes in them. Yes, the 6" cakes look a little lost, but I only make 6" cakes for the free anniversary cake anyway. They are also perfect size for multiple dozen cookies. I buy the pie boxes by the case (2" (+/-) tall instead of 5" tall) for cookies.

Decide if you're doing sheet cakes and keep those on hand.

I hate running out of boxes. Buying them individually (when I run out) costs me about 3 times as buying them by the case, and that's not even counting the time it takes me and the gas to go get them.

I also keep cases of 12" and 14" cardboard circles on hand. I can cut them down to any size I need if I happen to run out of the 6"/8" ones.

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 15

I see alot of post about people ordering from CK. Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what is CK?
Thanks,
Tammie

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 15

Inideby, you always have such goods ideas and suggestions!! Thanks a lot for all your advices. I have learned a lot from you icon_biggrin.gif , although you don't even know who I am lol!!! icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 15

CK is a company called County Kitchens.

I buy 19x14 and 26x18 for my slabs.I also have 10 inch square for cookies etc...I also am lucky enough to get empty chip boxes from my kids school every month after chip day so that cuts down on cost as well.

mo_like_it Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone! This has been so helpful! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

leah_s, I will certainly try taping the lid open. I looked at the price of boxes made for tiered cakes, and I think tape will be much cheaper! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi, when you put a smaller cake in a larger box, what do you use to keep the cake from sliding around inside the box? I love the idea of keeping larger circles and cutting them down! Speaking of cardboards, can you recommend a good place to get square cardboards?

I really don't want to do sheet cakes! I was hoping to steer customers away from that. I'm checking to see if I can get individual sheet boxes from Sam's if I have to do one.

Tammies_Cakes, It's not a dumb question!!!! CK Products is the wholesale supplier that I use. They have tons of stuff, but you do have to have a business ID to have an account with them.

Thanks again for all the help! I'm feeling some serious anxiety about the details of the business now that I'm getting so close to inspection, and officially "opening" the business! You guys always bring the anxiety down a notch...a least for a little while! icon_biggrin.gif

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 15

bgpaper (dot) com have really good prices on boxes and boards. I've order from them few times and shipping is reasonable.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_like_it

indydebi, when you put a smaller cake in a larger box, what do you use to keep the cake from sliding around inside the box? I love the idea of keeping larger circles and cutting them down! Speaking of cardboards, can you recommend a good place to get square cardboards?

A 6" cake is on an 8" board, so if it does slide, the board will hit the side of the box, not the cake. I usually just put a piece of folded over scotch tape under the cardboard. Doen't have to be much. An 8" cake is on a 10" board so it's a perfect fit.

I dont' buy square cardboards. I just stock up on big sheet boards and cut those down as needed.

One thing I learned in my corporate life was inventory control! You don't stock 27 different things when 3 will work. thumbs_up.gif

mo_like_it Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 15

Nyma, bgpaper is one I haven't looked at yet. Thanks! I will check it out!

indydebi, That is what I've been struggling with, especially with this start-up order. I want to get the discount price on as many items as possible, but I don't want a TON of stock! I love multiple uses for one item!!! Thanks again!!! Also, just noticed your new title, Forum Matriarch!! Awesome!!! thumbs_up.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

One thing I learned in my corporate life was inventory control! You don't stock 27 different things when 3 will work. thumbs_up.gif

Exactly right thumbs_up.gif . My most popular sizes of cakes are 8", 9" and 10" so I buy only 12" cardboard rounds and 12" square boxes. Even an 8" cake on a 12" board doesn't look that small once its all decorated. This saves me a lot of hassle with buying different sizes.

I buy 14" X 19" boards and boxes and use them for 9" X 13" and 12" X 18" cakes. I can also cut the boards into shapes for carved cakes.

I have to import everything I use so I've found this to be the best way for me. Of course, if I had a shop and more storage space I'd probably keep more sizes on hand, but minimal is still better in my book icon_biggrin.gif .

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 15

also check out brpbox dot com, good prices and often specials for free shipping (Big river box co)

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

also check out brpbox dot com, good prices and often specials for free shipping (Big river box co)

Thank you!!! I just went there and the prices are great, they have a huge selection, and the free shipping makes it awesome!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%