Fondant Vs Candy Clay?

Decorating By giraffe11 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 2:06am by giraffe11

giraffe11 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 7

I would really love to know anyone's ideas about the pros and cons of one vs the other? I have some experience with the candy clay.....I have done a fair amount of molds and character modelling with it, but never tried to cover a cake with it. I have never tried fondant at all. What are the benefits of it over the clay? I have noticed that Ace of Cakes seems to use the candy clay a lot......
Thanks for any insight or tips you can lend...

6 replies
Rylan Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 7

For taste reasons, candy clay would taste better (in my opinion).

I think the seams from candy clay can melt in together thus leaving a smoother finish--that I cannot do with gumpaste/fondant.

giraffe11 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply, Rylan. Have you ever tried to cover a cake with candy clay?
I really would like to know more about benefits of using one or the other......like does one hold shape better? Easier to work with? Dries faster? Lasts longer without getting brittle? Holds color better? I don't know......any other reasons, besides taste, that people prefer one over the other?
I am going to be making farm critters for my son's 4th BD and I am trying to decide which medium to use and also whether to try to cover his cake in the candy clay.
I would love to hear more...
Thanks a lot.

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 7

No problem. I haven't tried covering a cake with candy clay but I can imagine that it will be hard (really firm).

I don't really have that much experience with candy clay so I can't really explain all the benefits. I do however know that candy clay will keep its shape better than fondant. Candy clay also tastes better than regular fondant.

If I were you, I'd cover my cake with fondant and if you want to make figures, I suggest you use gumpaste or fondant with tylose added.

What brand of fondant are you currently using?

giraffe11 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #5 of 7

I have some white satin ice, but I have never used it before. I just picked up a small tub the last time I was at the supply shop.

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #6 of 7

I would suggest you just use that to cover your cake.

giraffe11 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #7 of 7

Thanks, I'll give it a try. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%