Are You Serious?!?!?!?!?!?! (Vent)

Decorating By tesh_diggins Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm by indydebi

tesh_diggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesh_diggins Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:56am
post #1 of 25

Okay, so I have a relative who is opening a party facility and she has asked me to supply her cakes. I jumped at the opportunity (if for nothing else but the practice, you know?). I quoted her a price of a $40 for a 12x18 that is shaped into a megaphone and if cupcakes are needed it will be an additional $20 for 10. So she texts me today explaining that the cake is her biggest expense and asking if I could possibly make the cakes for $25 each. ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?! $25 will barely cover my expenses. Once again, what are people thinking when they ask for stuff like this? Am I the only one who thinks that this is outrageous?

24 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 8:56am
post #2 of 25

I think everyone here on this board will think that is outrageous, but unfortunately most non cake people will think there is nothing wrong with that.

There are a couple of things you might want to check out, before throwing her to the curb. One is can you get frozen sheet cakes, and at what price. This may be an option, to offer her a cheaper cake. That is if you want to go this route. Then i would only offer the sheet cake iced with minimum decorations. No carved shit, that takes time and time is money.
The other thing is give her walmarts number and walk away.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:31am
post #3 of 25

dont waste your time.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:42am
post #4 of 25

Don't even reply. You weren't charging enough in the first place.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:12am
post #5 of 25

Jen80 - my thoughts exactly!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:17am
post #6 of 25

No way Jose! BUT, why are you charging $2 per cupcake and only 74cts per serving for a carved sheetcake?! That, my cake buddy, is crazy - you really need to check your pricing hun!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:35am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

I agree!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 25

What about a megaphone cake made out of cupcakes? that way you can adjust the size.

The only problem with your prices is that you will burn out on them.

Not to mention your relative is beginning a business on less than stellar numbers. Not just what are you thinking but what is she thinking?

You can't build a business on figures like that.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

I agree!

ditto.

tesh_diggins Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 25

Update: So I talked to my cousin today and she has decided to go with another option for her cakes (thank God!). I never thought about using the cupcakes to make a megaphone, maybe that will go over a little better. I also wasnt thinking about the cost being 74cents per serving because the cakes weren't going to be the entire 12x18, so I wasn't exactly sure how to price them. I will suggest the idea of a cupcake cake in the shape of a megaphone and see what she thinks. How would you price those? Thanks everyone for the input!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 25

Y'know like make a template on paper or cardboard so you know what size you can make it and not go crazy. Just take empty cupcake liners and see how you can arrange them on there.

I'm liking the two bucks each at least no filling. Just cake and icing.

I mean that would be real easy to me--not a lot of time so if I wanted to help family I'd maybe go that way.

I mean I kinda know what people mean by saying not even answer her but I mean it's family too. Yes its way too low ball but you gotta try --at least talk to her-- I think maybe we meant it ain't even worth our breath yeah for sure. She needs to smarten up.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 25

She said she is going with another option. You say you are going to suggest the cupcake microphone. Why? Your cupcakes were priced higher than your cake. I thought price was the issue?

tesh_diggins Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #13 of 25

I think that if she can get something in the $25 range, she would be happy with it. I never thought about suggesting the cupcakes to her from the beginning. But at $2 each, she can get a dozen cupcakes in the shape of the megaphone. If she doesn't think that is an option, then oh well. Anyway, thanks so much K8. You're an angel.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 25

Okay, so IF you go ahead and do the cake for her for less, then will she give you a huge discount when you want to use the facility yourself??? You could use this as bargaining chip.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 25

I have heard several times that caterers and party people and etc do NOT like to pay full price for cakes. Its hard to get a good contract with someone like that and make both of you happy.

I agree, if they want the contract, you'll have to do some kind of frozen cakes/Sam's icing sort of thing so that your costs and work are minimal but you can still make your profit while making them happy.

But if they want fancy work, they have to pay the fancy prices.

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 25

Totally agree that even the $40 wasn't enough for a 12X18! Tell your relative what your cost per person is and then see what you can work out. You are worth more than that!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:40pm
post #17 of 25

There is no little amount of ingredients or time that I can see doing ANYTHING for $25. I don't understand how people choose to sell cakes & make like $5 on the deal...if that. Cupcakes average $3 a piece and thats pretty much everywhere. A dozen cupcakes (which I would never make) would be $36. Why don't you suggest she go to Wal-Mart since those are the prices she wants to pay. I know a lot of people like to do cakes for the "practice', but I just can't see cheating myself like that. At the very least I could use my time doing something else. Not to mention, when you do decide to get serious about pricing, you have all ready established the reputation of being cheap.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 25

The only way I'd do it is if they were ordering 5-10 per week...ordering frozen cakes, and whipped out a bakery style cake. Then at $25/piece you would make $100-$250 per week...which after expenses would be okay as long as the person is pretty fast at icing cakes.

I agree its not super worth it.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 25

Tesh, I know at the beginning it is SO SO hard not to offer your services everytime someone mentions cake. But you're going to have to think seriously about this one before you commit, otherwise you will be stuck in a situation that will be too hard to get out of without having an argument. In the end you will not enjoy doing it and it will just seem like a chore.

You will have to do too much work to make a CCC look like a megaphone (think of all the round curvy bits at the edges). I really don't think you will be able to charge enough for the amount of time you put into it. Plus it's not something that can just be put into a container and then have it returned every time you make a new one. You will have to buy a new board every time.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:10pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I agree, if they want the contract, you'll have to do some kind of frozen cakes/Sam's icing sort of thing so that your costs and work are minimal but you can still make your profit while making them happy.

But if they want fancy work, they have to pay the fancy prices.

I wouldn't do the purchased sheet cakes because it is a reflection of your work unless you don't have a problem with it. Just let her go to Wal-Mart and get her own cake! She just feels like because she "knows" you she should get something cheaper, if she didn't know you, I'm sure there would be NO negotiations.

Good luck!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #21 of 25

Yeah, the prepurchesed cakes kind of......well, they're not my thing. I had a cafe that wanted cupcakes but didnt want to pay the whopping $1.50 I charge - she asked if I could just buy the cheap, frozen ones and decorate them........ I said 'Nope, but you can!".

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:24am
post #22 of 25

Customer: "Hello, Joe's Garage? I was wondering if you could give me a complete engine overhaul. Oh, but I don't want to pay more than the cost of a regular tune up. Is that okay? ... Hello? Hello?"

icon_rolleyes.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #23 of 25

I would definitely skip this... don't forget, her cousin likely wants to get the cakes as cheap as possible so that she can mark them up to HER customers that use the party facility. That, however, is not your problem and she needs to look into a cheaper option, if that is the case.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshs_kreative_kakes

.....I also wasnt thinking about the cost being 74cents per serving because the cakes weren't going to be the entire 12x18, so I wasn't exactly sure how to price them

Always charge the cost of the entire cake you bake...the entire pan...even if you don't end up using all of it when it's carved. icon_smile.gif Good luck with your decision about the CCC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshs_kreative_kakes

.....I also wasnt thinking about the cost being 74cents per serving because the cakes weren't going to be the entire 12x18, so I wasn't exactly sure how to price them

Always charge the cost of the entire cake you bake...the entire pan...even if you don't end up using all of it when it's carved. icon_smile.gif Good luck with your decision about the CCC.

Absolutely. It's called "Scrap factor expense". If I baked a 12x18 and carved it down to the size of a cupcake, I STILL had the expenses of a 12x18 cake that needs to be recouped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%