Any Tips On How To Do This Cake?

Decorating By kellie0406 Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 12:08am by elliebuff

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #31 of 34

Wow, thanks everyone for the comments on this. I first tried the drag method with different tools & didn't like the messy look I was getting. Next I scraped all the icing off & tried piping it on - loved the look but wasn't close enough to the picture. So I went back to smoothing a thick layer on then using a long skewer to do the lines. I used a template because I wanted to be sure I did a long diagonal but then as someone else mentioned, my lines were too perfectly spaced. I tried adding some random ones in at the end to mix it up a bit but then got scared that would just ruin the whole thing and didn't want to do it a 4th time. I think if I were to do this one again I'd just wing the lines & try for a more random look. The bride & groom seemed happy with it so that's what really counts. If anyone still has suggestions or constructive critisim, I'd love to hear them in case I ever get asked to this again. Thanks again for all your comments, you are all so very helpful!

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #32 of 34

it is easy to his seems once stacked, you just pipe acolor of Ri (normally but in this case you wuld use ganache at a runnier consitecy) then brush it into the egges to conceal the joins, i use this tecjnique on all my cakes to hide the joins and then you don't nee a border to hide the edges icon_smile.gif

Tiara13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiara13 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #33 of 34

I honestly love it just as much as the original! Great job!

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:08am
post #34 of 34

Wow--that looks amazing! It's great that you just tried it, even though you weren't sure. Congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%