Basic Question

Decorating By walker1229 Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm by Mike1394

walker1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walker1229 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:35am
post #1 of 7

When you do a crumb coat or cover a cake with buttercream do you need to refirdgerate it for it to crust, and do you need to/should keep it in the fridge? Thanks
Crystal

6 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:02am
post #2 of 7

let the crumb coat or the buttercream coat crust at room temp. the finished cake only needs refrigeration if the filling or icing needs refrigeration, like a pudding or fresh cream type.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 7

In my experience, refrigerating it makes it crust faster.

I personally prefer to refrigerate all my cake but like sweetcakes mentioned, it really doesn't require refrigeration unless you are using perishable fillings or if it is super hot inside the house.

walker1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walker1229 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the help.

Lou71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lou71 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 7

I would second that, I always put my cakes in the fridge for 30 minutes after crumb coat.

This allows me time to clear the worktop and soften the fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

Louise

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 7

If you have a good crusting icing, it's going to crust whether you put it in the 'frig or not. PUtting it in the fridge doesn't "make" it crust. The fat/sugar ration is what causes the crusting.

What you are experiencing when an iced cake is refrigerated is the fat (butter or shortening) in your icing becomes solidified, just like when you put butter in the 'frig. When you remove the cake (or the stick of butter) from the 'frig and it's returned to room temp, the fat returns to room temp and that's what causes your icing to "melt".

If you have a crusting icing, the "melting" doesn't happen because the science of the fat/sugar ratio has done it's job.

PUtting your cake in the 'frig to "make it crust" is merely an illusion and a "feel good" step.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 7

It kind of depends on what kind of BC

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%