Dark Vs. Light Brown Sugar Question

Baking By Ladybug78 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 6:16am by madgeowens

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 8

Hi there, Can I mix dark brown and light brown sugar for chocolate chip cookies? When I use light brown my cookies are to light. If not.... why not. If so does the measurement matter.

7 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #2 of 8

I've never tried mixing light and dark brown sugar together. The way I look at any recipe is that if it calls specifically for light brown sugar then I use light brown sugar. If it calls for dark brown sugar, I use dark brown sugar, and if it just simply says brown sugar, I always use dark brown sugar. So, for chocolate chip cookies I've always only used dark brown sugar. To get them to rise more I refrigerate the cookie dough and bake right out of the fridge. I get lots of family and friend requests for my chocolate chip cookies and I only use the tollhouse recipe on the bag. I think one other thing I do that helps with them is that I only mix my ingredients by hand, never use a mixer. I think a mixer breaks up the butter too much, but I'm not sure why it's better only mixing by hand.

I somehow don't think I actually answered your question, but if my experience helps at all, then I guess it was ok.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #3 of 8

I'm not really sure it would matter. I believe the only difference is that dark brown sugar has more molasses in it so you may get a stronger tast of molasses in your cookie and they'll be darker.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:45am
post #4 of 8

That is correct. You can use a mixture or even all dark brown but the molasses flavor will be stronger. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 8

When using light brown sugar, you can put a tablespoon of molasses at the bottom of your liquid measure before measuring your milk.
Then you will get the dark color, flavor, and not have to worry about messing up the liquid proportions.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 8

That's a great idea!
I only use light brown sugar because i like my chocolate chip cookies to look lighter.

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:08am
post #7 of 8

The higher molasses content in the dark brown sugar will also make the cookies softer than light brown.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:16am
post #8 of 8

measurement is very important, and you neeed to pack the bs tight in measuring cup...I always use dark brown sugar in my ccc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%