Mmf Problems, Please Help!

Baking By cookie_fun Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 2:19am by heddahope

cookie_fun Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:00am
post #1 of 8

Hi CCers. I need help.

I've tried to make MMF 2x now and it's just not working. The first batch was super sticky but nothing seemed to help it. I made that batch with just the marshmallows, crisco, corn syrup and PS.

The 2nd batch was super dry. I added glycerine to this batch, but it just was a crumbly mess. I read on CC somewhere that someone suggested adding a little water, but that turned it into a sticky mess.

They both ended up in the trash bin. Am I just being too impatient or what am I doing wrong? I really want to get this.
TIA!

7 replies
luvmysmoother Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 8

I make my mmf the super easy way - just nuke the marshmallows (1 minute and 30 seconds works for me and for no more than 2 minutes for 16oz) and stir until soupy, then add vanilla and icing sugar in 1/2 cup portions until the consistency is good. I find that adding corn syrup and crisco is never necessary (so far) - just adds more things that can go wrongicon_smile.gif Non-fat mmf with no crisco also eliminates greasy ribbon if you ribbon your cakeicon_smile.gif Using grocery store vanilla rather than the clear vanilla also seems to help - the creamy champagne colour hides bumps and blemishes much better than super duper white fondanticon_smile.gif Please don't give up on mmf - just give it one more tryicon_smile.gif

niccicola Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 8

Agreed with ^^

I've tried sooo many different versions of MMF...corn syrup...crisco...glycerine, you name it. I found the best recipe is just 16 oz Marshmallows, 2 tbl water, approx. 2 lb powdered sugar and enough crisco to keep your hands moist.

sweettooth622 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 8

I've tried sooo many different versions of MMF...corn syrup...crisco...glycerine, you name it. I found the best recipe is just 16 oz Marshmallows, 2 tbl water, approx. 2 lb powdered sugar and enough crisco to keep your hands moist.

I've made it twice now the same as above recipe. It can get sticky but I just add a drop or two of water & keep regreasing things with Crisco when it does. You have to knead it for quite awhile....maybe you are giving up too soon...??

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

sweettooth622 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 8

I've made it twice now the same as above recipe. It can get sticky but I just add a drop or two of water & keep regreasing things with Crisco when it does. You have to knead it for quite awhile....maybe you are giving up too soon...??

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 8

I use that recipe too. It's possible to get the occasional bad batch...like last week when I used Imperial sugar and ended up with hard little bits throughout the MMF, but for the most part it's extremely reliable.

CarrieBear Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:12am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

Agreed with ^^

this is what I use also and never have problems!!

heddahope Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmysmoother

I make my mmf the super easy way - just nuke the marshmallows (1 minute and 30 seconds works for me and for no more than 2 minutes for 16oz) and stir until soupy, then add vanilla and icing sugar in 1/2 cup portions until the consistency is good. I find that adding corn syrup and crisco is never necessary (so far) - just adds more things that can go wrong

I use this same simple recipe everytime, no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%