Mmf Problems, Please Help!

Baking By cookie_fun Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 2:19am by heddahope

cookie_fun  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:00am
post #1 of 8

Hi CCers. I need help.

I've tried to make MMF 2x now and it's just not working. The first batch was super sticky but nothing seemed to help it. I made that batch with just the marshmallows, crisco, corn syrup and PS.

The 2nd batch was super dry. I added glycerine to this batch, but it just was a crumbly mess. I read on CC somewhere that someone suggested adding a little water, but that turned it into a sticky mess.

They both ended up in the trash bin. Am I just being too impatient or what am I doing wrong? I really want to get this.
TIA!

7 replies
 luvmysmoother  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 8

I make my mmf the super easy way - just nuke the marshmallows (1 minute and 30 seconds works for me and for no more than 2 minutes for 16oz) and stir until soupy, then add vanilla and icing sugar in 1/2 cup portions until the consistency is good. I find that adding corn syrup and crisco is never necessary (so far) - just adds more things that can go wrongicon_smile.gif Non-fat mmf with no crisco also eliminates greasy ribbon if you ribbon your cakeicon_smile.gif Using grocery store vanilla rather than the clear vanilla also seems to help - the creamy champagne colour hides bumps and blemishes much better than super duper white fondanticon_smile.gif Please don't give up on mmf - just give it one more tryicon_smile.gif

niccicola  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 8

Agreed with ^^

I've tried sooo many different versions of MMF...corn syrup...crisco...glycerine, you name it. I found the best recipe is just 16 oz Marshmallows, 2 tbl water, approx. 2 lb powdered sugar and enough crisco to keep your hands moist.

sweettooth622  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 8

I've tried sooo many different versions of MMF...corn syrup...crisco...glycerine, you name it. I found the best recipe is just 16 oz Marshmallows, 2 tbl water, approx. 2 lb powdered sugar and enough crisco to keep your hands moist.

I've made it twice now the same as above recipe. It can get sticky but I just add a drop or two of water & keep regreasing things with Crisco when it does. You have to knead it for quite awhile....maybe you are giving up too soon...??

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

sweettooth622  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 8

I've made it twice now the same as above recipe. It can get sticky but I just add a drop or two of water & keep regreasing things with Crisco when it does. You have to knead it for quite awhile....maybe you are giving up too soon...??

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 8

I use that recipe too. It's possible to get the occasional bad batch...like last week when I used Imperial sugar and ended up with hard little bits throughout the MMF, but for the most part it's extremely reliable.

CarrieBear  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:12am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

Agreed with ^^

this is what I use also and never have problems!!

heddahope  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmysmoother

I make my mmf the super easy way - just nuke the marshmallows (1 minute and 30 seconds works for me and for no more than 2 minutes for 16oz) and stir until soupy, then add vanilla and icing sugar in 1/2 cup portions until the consistency is good. I find that adding corn syrup and crisco is never necessary (so far) - just adds more things that can go wrong

I use this same simple recipe everytime, no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%