Best Mixer?

Decorating By cakefort Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 10:54am by Mike1394

cakefort Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 6

I tried MFF for the first time this week. Loved it, but my hand mixer did not! It broke as I was nearing the end. I assume a stand mixer wouldn't have this problem? I also assume a Kitchenaid is the best stand mixer (or the only??). What is the least expensive model I could get away with that will withstand things like mixing fondant? What do you have that you would recommend?

5 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 6

never, never make fondant, any kind, with a hand mixer.
i have a KA, 6 qt professional 600 series and love it. I recently got it because the one I had, from my mom who died, was over 30 years old and I wanted a new one in a pretty color. So that just shows you how tough they are.

Caike Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 6

I've heard a lot of people on the site say they wouldn't change to an electric mixer (KA, etc). The last batch of MMF I did (the 3 tier in my pics) I did by hand and it worked out pretty well. It allowed me to figure out the consistency of the fondant the whole time. And for the two batches I made I didn't need to use all the icing sugar. None the less - I think the next time I do another MMF recipe/batch I'll use the hand technique once again.

Sorry you broke your mixer! That sucks! icon_surprised.gif

moxey2000 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 6

Get a KA and get the 6 qt if you can. You won't regret it. I got mine on eBay for $295, new in the box.

I agree Caike, I never use my mixer to make fondant. It's just one more thing to clean and it's much easier to make by hand.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #5 of 6

I just got the 7qt Cuisinart mixer...

I replaced my 4.5 qt KA and am very happy. Actually my mom inherited it icon_biggrin.gif

The Cuisinart has some great features like the huge capacity, a timer, a pulse button, and a spring loaded tilt head.

I spent HOURS researching and I think KA has gotten too comfortable at the top and needs to step it up. They are no longer the best on the block.

Here is more info on the KA v. Viking v. Cuisinart ENJOY!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633452-.html

Mike1394 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:54am
post #6 of 6

Get a Viking

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%