Any Idea How To Make Palm Fronds Or Trailing Plant?

Decorating By krissy_kze Updated 24 Aug 2005 , 7:55pm by jjandascog

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 3:41am
post #1 of 8

I want to make a potted plant cake for a housewarming gift. I was thinking about a few roses with greenery thrown in. Palm fronds would be pretty but I have no idea how to make them. Same with philodendron or ivy.

Can anyone explain how to make these or know a link that gives instructions?

Thanks!

7 replies
crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 5:43am
post #2 of 8

I am definately not an expert but I was thinking maybe you could make the palm fronds with royal icing . I made coral for a cake with royal icing. I piped it onto wax paper and let it dry a few days then placed it on my cake.. The cake was covered with buttercream . Not sure if this helps.. Good luck.. Hope you post a pic for us to see the cake when you are done..

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 6:08am
post #3 of 8

I made tops for palm trees out of royal icing once. The other time I made them, I cut the leaves out of rolled fondant and pressed floral wire into them. Then I bent them in the shapes I wanted and laid them over plastic glasses turned on their sides so the leaves looked really natural when they hardened.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:25am
post #4 of 8

jjandascog,
The fondant leaves that you made....did the floral wire stay in the fondant after they were dry? Or did you 'glue' them in somehow? I made palm leaves once and after they dried, I glued the wrapped floral wire to the back of them....boy it was a MESS!!! I am trying to find a different way to do it and your way (if I understand it) sounds easier. Sorry to butt in on this post! icon_smile.gif I hope y'all don't mind me asking this.

Thank you!
Leslie icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:06am
post #5 of 8

If you want to do wire in the leaves. Roll the leaf leaving a thicker area in the center then dip the wire into gum glue or egg whites and insert in to the thick area. emboss the leaf like normal and let dry in a flower former.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 8

When I did my Island Cake with Palm tree I dried my leaves first, then attached the wire to the underside with royal icing, worked great.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpnh

When I did my Island Cake with Palm tree I dried my leaves first, then attached the wire to the underside with royal icing, worked great.

gilpnh,
LOL! When I said that I glued the wire to the leaves, I meant that I did it with Royal icing...not real glue. ha ha icon_wink.gif Sorry. So, I did the same way as you, but the royal icing wouldn't hold it at first, so it seemed like I had to "gop" it on in order for it to be strong enought to stick to the leaves. I guess my leaves were too thick. But that was the first time I had ever done anything like that, so, each time, I learn what NOT to do(thick leaves). I was happy with the royal glue method, just not the amount I had to use. LOL THANK YOU gilpnh!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks peg! I will have to try that way too! I think we all find ways to work for us....isn't that weird? How there are so many different ways to achieve the same effect? LOL

Thank you both for your tips! thumbs_up.gif
Leslie icon_lol.gif

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 8

I made my leaves a little bit thicker in the center and pressed the wire into the back of the leaves while they were still soft. Then with my fingertip and thumb I sort of pinched the leaf closed around the wire then bent the leaf into the shape I wanted and laid out to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%