Buttercream Transfer Instructions???

Decorating By froglover Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm by froglover

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 8

Where can i find how to do a buttercream transfer. I've seen lots on here but i have never tried it myself. Thanks

7 replies
prayerwarrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 8

Here is the one on this site - it has 10 stars - so everyone likes it!
http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer

msbask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbask Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 8

I love doing FBCTs, but I use a full Crisco recipe (no butter) and I use plastic wrap instead of waxed paper or parchment.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 8

Just a quick tip for doing FBCTs - use a piece of plexiglass to do it on. I have found this to be a life saver. I tape my picture to the counter and cover it with a piece of plexiglass with either parchment or waxed paper taped to it. On the waxed/parchment paper, do the outline first and then fill in one colour at a time until complete. Why I LOVE the plexiglass is that during the filling in, you can from time to time, peek under the glass and make sure that there aren't any gaps, squiggles, etc., in the fill-in icing. If there are, I keep a cakes-only paint brush in hand and I use it to smooth out the squiggles by pushing around the icing from the back side. I keep peeking until I get it right (just be sure to line up the picture when you lay it back down, but once you have the general outline done, this becomes less of an issue). You can't do this kind of checking with a cookie sheet. I freeze the piece right on the plexiglass and you can re-use the plexiglass over and over. I buy mine at the local hardware store, where they have both pre-cut pieces and they can cut a piece to any size you want. I have found this to be the best way to avoid lines, squiggles, gaps, etc., in the final piece. Otherwise, you don't find out that your FBCT has those issues until you have flipped it onto the cake, and it's very tough to fix it then

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

Just a quick tip for doing FBCTs - use a piece of plexiglass to do it on. I have found this to be a life saver. I tape my picture to the counter and cover it with a piece of plexiglass with either parchment or waxed paper taped to it. On the waxed/parchment paper, do the outline first and then fill in one colour at a time until complete. Why I LOVE the plexiglass is that during the filling in, you can from time to time, peek under the glass and make sure that there aren't any gaps, squiggles, etc., in the fill-in icing. If there are, I keep a cakes-only paint brush in hand and I use it to smooth out the squiggles by pushing around the icing from the back side. I keep peeking until I get it right (just be sure to line up the picture when you lay it back down, but once you have the general outline done, this becomes less of an issue). You can't do this kind of checking with a cookie sheet. I freeze the piece right on the plexiglass and you can re-use the plexiglass over and over. I buy mine at the local hardware store, where they have both pre-cut pieces and they can cut a piece to any size you want. I have found this to be the best way to avoid lines, squiggles, gaps, etc., in the final piece. Otherwise, you don't find out that your FBCT has those issues until you have flipped it onto the cake, and it's very tough to fix it then

great idea about the plexiglass. I also use a light box that I got at Michaels with the coupon for less than $10, works great

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

I find the plexiglass makes a world of difference. I have done the FBCT with the cookie sheet and with the plexiglass. Such a big difference!

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 8

thanks you guys i can't wait to try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%