How Much Would You Charge For A Wedding Cake Like This?

Business By BellesMom Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm by FullHouse

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by online_annie

Edna: I Absolutely adore all of your work! I also subscribe to your youtube videos. I'm a very visual person and your tutorials have really made a difference for me! I can't thank you enough for sharing.

Thanks!..Im glad you enjoy them. I do love to teach.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #62 of 82

I just finished reading this thread and all the advise was very helpful to me too! I just started making and decorating cakes and the adice I see on here helps me very much. Thank you all!

On the subject of wedding cakes ... I have been asked for sample boards for the bride and goom, and sometimes the couples parents as well, so they can make a decision on a cake flavor. I wanted to charge a small fee for these but wasn't sure if that was done or not.
The couples that have come to me, through various friends, that I made samples for ended up going to a big box store to get a cake done.
I kinda feel like they were just getting free cake off of me.

BellesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellesMom Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Well my cake is finished...OMG it is to date, the most difficult cake I have done. I could not work bottom to top with drapes, it just seemed backwards for me...they are really hard to do jeeze........they looked easy haha......tell me if you think its too colorful....its not as pretty as the one posted for this discussion, but I tried icon_smile.gif

lol - you're scaring me with the "hardest cake to date" comment!! lol
How did you end up securing the swags?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #64 of 82

I just scewered them with straws that held the flowers........however....when we came back from dinner the top tier was leaning badly forward.... I think too much weight there....my fonddant was a bit too wet....maybe cause of rain I don'y know...............but it sure tasted yummy....and now I have th flu grrrrrrr
thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #65 of 82

Sorry Bellesmom.........well it was hard for me you will do fine.....every darn thing that could go wrong went wrong, so it was difficult....humidity in the air was a nuisance. Can hardly wait to see your cake..

BellesMom Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #66 of 82

madgeowens, I have never made a cake of this level - so I am nervous...especially someone's wedding cake!! The cake is due in Feb - but I will be practicing between now and them icon_smile.gif

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm
post #67 of 82

Does anyone make weddingc cakes for a living here? I am starting off doing it and have my first cake order coming up and any tips or advice would be great. How do you know wat to price your cakes at? And do you freeze cakes prior to decorating?

madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:16am
post #68 of 82

Bellesmom....I loive that name by the way......I will tell you a secret I have learned........and I checked with a pro to be sure what to do to prevent this in future.......all the weight of the fondant drape and flowers in front was causing the small top tier to be pulled over....it was raised up atleast an inch in back..I was having a cow.....so I quick dismantled it and served it haha,,,,,,,,you can't do that......so the answer is.........drape fondant on the top tier all the way over to hand over the back.........it will prevent it from happening for you...icon_smile.gif are you not glad I made this cake for my BD haha.I asked tonedna about it and this is what she told me she does to keep that from happening.

madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:18am
post #69 of 82

yummychoo you have come to the right place.......just go into the forum and start posting your questions, they may already be posted if you look.....people are great here and they will sure help you out...welcome...my mum was born and lived in Manchester England until after WWII

BellesMom Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #70 of 82

madgeowens.......Thanks So Much for the tip! It makes complete sense now that you said it - You probably just saved me a toppled over wedding cake!!! lol - I see you live in PA too - maybe you could swing by and help me when it's time!! LOL

thanks again icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:04pm
post #71 of 82

also I did them in three seperate drapes, not all together.....icon_smile.gif....I am a novice decorator.....so if I can do it yours will be perfect

BellesMom Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #72 of 82

Thanks for all of your advice ladies - here is how my cake turned out icon_smile.gif
I blacked out the back ground in Paint because it was taken on my kitchen counter....you can see the blacked out areas as I got close to the cake - I think I have the actual un touched pic on my cc profile.
Thanks again for all your help!! icon_smile.gif
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #73 of 82

It turned out great! Congrats!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #74 of 82

Your cake is great BellesMom!! and how did you black out the background?? I have Paint but can't figure out how to edit pics on it icon_cry.gif

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

I'm anxious to see what others will say about fondant swags on buttercream. I can't imagine that would work! The buttercream would mess up as soon as you touch the swags to it, wouldn't it? You would have to reposition it and that wouldn't work with buttercream, right?

Meh, I do a lot of fondant swags on buttercreme. But you're right, you've only got one shot to get it on there. Have to be right the first time!

I do swags all the time in buttercream. You just need a relly good buttercream. If it's too soft it wont hold as well.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna: I can't remember if I read right, but do you have a DVD tutorial on making the buttercream swags or are you teaching about it somewhere? BTW Congrats on your new DVD flower series, I can't wait to get it.. and ofcourse thanks for all your tutorials on youtube.. I used them often.

Anna

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:40pm
post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

Edna, how do you make your customers overspend on their budget?

Usually if they dont have the budget I move them to something
that goes more to what they can pay for. Is not fair your work has to suffer cause they dont have the budget.
Teach your clients to go for what they cant buy or you will end up loosing money.
Edna

I think she meant to type: Teach your clients to go for what the can buy or you will end up loosing money.

Yes..thats exaclty what i meant!.. Spanish still my first language..lol..

icon_lol.gif

LOL I have the same problem, I tell everyone I get lost on translation !!
Edna icon_smile.gif

BellesMom Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Your cake is great BellesMom!! and how did you black out the background?? I have Paint but can't figure out how to edit pics on it icon_cry.gif

Thanks Rosie2! I opened my picture in Paint and enlarged it to the largest % I could...then I selected the paint brush from the left hand side tool bar and selected black as my color - then just started "painting" away! It gets hard to keep the edges of the cake clean and black out the back ground - that is why the edges of my cake look a little fuzzy/block-like. You have to have patience because it takes a while. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

BellesMom Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #78 of 82

Thanks cylstrial! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

That cake will serve more than 50...looks like a 10" round, 8" square, 6" round which would be 82 servings.

Will you be making the flowers or using silk? Those flowers would take time and cutters if you don't have them already.

The other thing is, you'll have to transport assembled, do you have room in your vehicle and are you confident enough with the support system that you use to do that?

I made my friend's wedding cake for $100 mostly because I wanted to be able to say I'd made a wedding cake for someone. The $100 didn't quite cover the supplies and ingredients and the cake was a ton of work. I probably would have charged a stranger about $400 for the same cake (if I sold cakes).

Um, last time a checked if you take even a penny from someone for a cake, then you sold a cake. And you know that in Texas it is a big "no-no" to do so from your home kitchen and/or without a license. You know this, so why would you in one breath say you charged a friend $100 then in the next say you don't sell cakes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #80 of 82

Selling something does not make you a seller of them. For example, if a bride sells her wedding dress she is not then a dress shop. She is not someone who could then be contacted for further dress sales. If I sell my car I am not a car dealership. I don't have a lot full of vehicles you can peruse and make a choice.

Selling something for a penny does not establish a business.
It's an interesting concept but it takes more than a single one penny transaction to launch and establish a business.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:14pm
post #81 of 82

I think texas-rose was mainly trying to just cover the cost of the cake, not sell a cake.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #82 of 82

Beautiful job, Bellesmom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%