Tone's Vanilla From Sam's?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm by -K8memphis

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 11

Anyone use it? I just bought some and I was wondering if it's any good?
I'm going to try it out but was just seeing what the all knowing cakers from CC had to say about it.

10 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 11

I've used it for years because it's a good value. I don't use it for white cakes, but for everything else. IMO it tastes fine-but then I don't have a very discriminating palate!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 11

I use it--and this is where I employ my little motto, if a little is good a lot is better icon_biggrin.gif I mean I see Martha carefully measuring one teensy little teaspoon at a time--Dude, I measure one teaspoon as one generous squirt. Love a squirt bottle lid on my vanilla!

I mean my smbc takes a ton of flavor--I always use this brand.

I do not have an uber discriminating palate--my son does--he's never complained nor made me try to upgrade so...but some CakeBuddies think it's awful.

It's got sweetener in it now y'know.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 11

Ok I used it, it's not bad. I do think it's better then McCormicks which is what I've been using and it's a way cheaper so I think we have a keeper! Thanks for ya'lls input!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 11

I use it! And very generous squirts too....haven't had any complaints! I do think maybe the flavor isn't as concentrated...however I did get some vanilla bean paste and I found the Tone's gave a stronger vanilla flavor than the paste....I buy it all the time.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Anyone use it? I just bought some and I was wondering if it's any good?
I'm going to try it out but was just seeing what the all knowing cakers from CC had to say about it.

I used to use the expensive Neilsen-Massey Bourbon Vanilla....at $20 for 4 ounces....but switched to Tone's a few years ago....no one ever noticed. I believe it was Cook's Illustrated magazine that did a taste comparison about a year ago and the results were that people couldn't really tell any difference in most brands of vanilla in baked goods, so the expensive ones really don't make a significant difference.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 11

It may make a bigger difference in icings...I know I can tell a big difference between Tone's and the Wilton clear vanilla...and I actually am so used to the Wilton clear that I really like it in icing.

I use Tone's in some icings (that don't have to be white) and baked goods.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 11

I use it to, bit make sure you are getting the pure vanilla.....not the imitation! I can tell a difference in those! (The largest container at Sam's is the imitation)

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

It may make a bigger difference in icings...I know I can tell a big difference between Tone's and the Wilton clear vanilla...and I actually am so used to the Wilton clear that I really like it in icing.

I use Tone's in some icings (that don't have to be white) and baked goods.

For icing, I use a mixture of Tones Real vanilla, Wilton clear vanilla, and McCormick's French Vanilla.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 11

I use clear vanilla for my white icing, otherwise I use this Tone's vanilla for everything else. I'm with k8 ... if you actually measure vanilla then you're probably not using enough! icon_lol.gif More IS better!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use clear vanilla for my white icing, otherwise I use this Tone's vanilla for everything else. I'm with k8 ... if you actually measure vanilla then you're probably not using enough! icon_lol.gif More IS better!

icon_biggrin.gif <High Five> icon_biggrin.gif

No sucha thing as too much cinnamon either.

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%