Airbrushing - Question About Taste Of Airbrushed Cakes

Decorating By nickymom Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm by nickymom

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 7

I know when I mix icing colors in w/ buttercream or fondant I can't taste the food coloring but I was wondering about airbrushing colors on especially when fully coloring a cake (not just misting). If the food coloring isn't mixed in but sprayed on is there a difference in taste?

I've only used my airbrush once and it was for just a very light mist of sky blue and I don't know if it was in my head but it seemed like I might have tasted the coloring so I'm worried about fully coloring a cake if it would taste nasty?

Also, I know w/ red coloring I have to use the wilton's no taste red to mix in because I can taste a nasty bitter w/ the regular wilton red coloring. I noticed that Americolor (the colors I got w/ my airbrush) doesn't have a no tatse titled red color just regular reds. I havn't used it yet but I was wondering if the americolor's red for airbrushing taste nasty?

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 7

none of the americolor gels have a taste and I've made dk. red and black with them.....and I've never noticed any taste with the airbrushed colors either. I've done entire cakes in red and black, like 5 or 6 coats to get it nice and dark and there's no flavor!

nickymom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 7

Good! That makes me feel better about airbrushing now.

Thank's for taking the time to reply! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 7

I did one in royal blue and didn't notice a taste at all.

nickymom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 7

Yay-Good! I guess it was "in my head"....I seriolsy have to practice, practice, practice now. LOL

You ladies have TALENT! great looking cakes in your albums.

KHalstead I noticed in your album that you use your airbrush a lot. You're very good!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 7

thanks, I love that thing..........I don't think I'm "good" at airbrushing things though..I just fake it! lol I do a lot of sheetcakes and I hate to mix icing colors so I airbrush whenever I can to keep from having to make a million colors of icing. I don't like to have leftover colored icing....so when you airbrush you just use white icing and spray all the other colors on.

I just did a tinkerbell barbie doll cake and I iced the whole thing with white fondant and white royal icing (except for the scrolls and flowers), and then airbrushed the whole thing!! My daughter thought I was making her into a wedding barbie lol Then when I did the whole thing airbrushed yellow (for the undertones) she thought I was making Belle..when I showed her the final cake she said "Oh mommy, now it's Tinkerbell...you really need to make up your mind BEFORE you decorate the cake!" LOL It was supposed to be Tinkerbell all along!!!!

nickymom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 7

I saw the tinkerbell barbie cake in your albums and she's pretty!!!!! icon_wink.gif What a cute story...kids can be so funny in the things they say. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%