Freezing Cookies!!!!

Baking By alicialee Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 5:00pm by cookiemama2

alicialee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 14

I have 250 cookies and a cake to do for a wedding in 2 weeks. I would like to bake and decorate the cookies this weekend and then freeze them. It would take so much stress off for making the wedding cake!

Is this a bad idea to freeze them? They will be NFSC with toba's glace. Is there a certain process I should go about when freezing them. I'm afraid that after freezing them and thawing they will either:
A. look terrible
or
B. Taste really bad.. like freezer burnt and stale!!

Please help me!!!!

13 replies
msulli10 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 14

I freeze my cookies all the time. I let them thaw at room temperature and then decorate them. Once decorated and dried, I put them in the plastic bag with ribbon. I have done the decorations up to 1 week in advance. The cookies are always very fresh.

One time I froze the cookies already decorated. After they were dried, I put wax paper between the layers in an air tight container. I removed them from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature. They tasted fresh to me!

alicialee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 14

ok good. I think I'm going to go ahead and decorate them this weekend. It will take a lot of pressure off me for the week of the wedding. Not only am I making cookies for the rehearsal dinner, AND the wedding cake... I'm a bridesmaid in the wedding also... so it will be a hectic week!

Will they take long to thaw?? can I take them out of the freezer the day of? or the day before?

verono Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 14

I suggest to don't freeze toba's glace...
I've tried a few times and wasn't lucky anytimes! They had white spots on it even if it were vaccum-sealed...

vicki3336 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 14

I remember reading on here, I think from GeminiRJ, that if you put Americolor Brite White in the glace, you won't get the white spots. I've not tried it; just thought I'd pass the info along.

vicki3336 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 14

Darn....sorry...I just saw a thread where Gemini talks about the Brite White, but for refrigerating cookies, not freezing them. I was hoping for a freezer solution, too. I have to make over 400 cookies for a banquet in the spring and wanted to get a head start.

verono Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki3336

Darn....sorry...I just saw a thread where Gemini talks about the Brite White, but for refrigerating cookies, not freezing them. I was hoping for a freezer solution, too. I have to make over 400 cookies for a banquet in the spring and wanted to get a head start.

I did some test with brown cookies (and they had brite white in it) and didn't work... I'm trying again with only white.... I really need that to be working because I'll need to do like 6000 cookie samples (1" round cookie that I'll dip in toba's glace to go faster with the icing)

linedancer Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 14

If you want to consider using fondant, you can bake decorate, bag and freeze for up to three weeks. I have done this many times with great success.

alicialee Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 14

white spots with colored icing?? how does this happen? I put a batch in the freezer tonight, just wondering if I should take them out? please help!!! I spent 10 hours on these cookies today and it would be horrible if I ruined them!

verono Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicialee

white spots with colored icing?? how does this happen? I put a batch in the freezer tonight, just wondering if I should take them out? please help!!! I spent 10 hours on these cookies today and it would be horrible if I ruined them!

With glace cookies..
You took a risk icon_wink.gif
I tried with a brown-colored iced cookie and I've got spots on it when I froze it.

shiney Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 14

Maybe you could try Antonia's RI or RBC. I've had great luck with those two, and also TG in the freezer, but yes at times I get the blotches with TG, just figured I hadn't put enough bright-white in it.

cookiemama2 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 14

I always get white spots on Royal icing cookies.
I never put them in the freezer except at Christmas when they are just for my family.
I would love to have a recipe where this wouldn't happen.

shiney Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 14

Cookiemama2: You might try the RBC, it freezes wonderfully! They come out tasting fresh-baked, no spots. Tip: Roll it very thin, because it's so sweet. Just use that as your base (flood), then detail with RI

cookiemama2 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks shiney.
I even have RBC saved in my favorite recipes to try !
I have used fondant and the royal details and it freezes great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%