Rolled Buttercream And Fondant Mixed...help!

Decorating By TxBitty Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm by TxBitty

TxBitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBitty Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 5

I posted a few days ago about needing to make this poker table cake for tomorrow for a big party.

Similar to this: Image

For some reason, after reading through countless posts, I decided to try to do a mix of Wilton fondant and Rolled Buttercream for the black part of the poker table itself. Is that dumb?? icon_redface.gif

Anyway, I've already mixed it and got the good black color (made it day before yesterday), but now I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to get it on the cake and how to actually do it. At this point, I don't believe I have time to make black BC in case this doesn't work very well.

Any tips on how to work with this? It still seems quite greasy -- should I add more powdered sugar? The shininess of it doesn't bother me, in fact I think it will be a good look for the table.

And, I plan on doing my crumb coats on the cakes this morning -- do I also do a full layer of BC under this mixture? Do I let it crust and then smooth it as normal prior to adding the Rolled BC?

I've read the posts where CC'ers say it's difficult to cover a cake with Rolled Buttercream...but this isn't really "covering" a cake, I just need the sides. Do you think this will work??

Any tips, advice, etc. would be sooo greatly appreciated!

I'm still a nervous wreck about this cake and have to have it completely finished by this evening...as well as myself and hubby and 6 kids ready to head out for the party tomorrow late morning. Ughhh! icon_cry.gif Starting to feel like I should have turned down the request to do this cake! icon_sad.gif

4 replies
TxBitty Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 5

Anybody with any tips or advice at all?

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

hmmmmmmm well i've made a couple fondant cakes with figurines, and bows ect, and it took me more that a day.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 5

if you put to much buttercream in my experience you will get lumps no matter how much you smoothe, if you're making layers you need to let the cake set or put something with weight on it for a little while so you don't get side bulges. i'd see if you can get a friend to help you. have you made your chips, if not i'd try going to a dollar store and buy some small one in the toy section and they used to sell minature cards to. just make sure you tell the guest's they arn't real. do you have your base made or could hubby make and and the legs and you can just cover the legs with fondant, i did that when i needed an air plane over a cake and the fondant stayed on fine

TxBitty Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I know, I'm feeling way behind...was sick for a couple days and going on 4 1/2 hours sleep yesterday because of it, and now I'm so far behind! *sigh*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%