What Do The Professionals Use?

Decorating By marszz2 Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm by aundrea

marszz2 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:28am
post #1 of 16

what is it that the professional cake artists are using when they are freeze glueing decorations onto the cake like on the cake contest tv shows? It looks like a areosal can. Does anyone know what they use for that ?

15 replies
jdconcc Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:12am
post #2 of 16

sorry no idea but giving you a bump as I'm curious too icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:13am
post #3 of 16

I heard one of them call it freeze spray, so I thought it was the stuff I use to clean off keyboard haha....love to know

tinygoose Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:58am
post #4 of 16

It sprays cold air. They usually use it on chocolate or hot sugar to cool it off fast to attach pieces.


Apparently cold air is also really expensive...wow!

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:23am
post #5 of 16
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I heard one of them call it freeze spray, so I thought it was the stuff I use to clean off keyboard haha....love to know

That is where people getting high really screwed us!!! icon_biggrin.gif Back in the day, you could totally turn one of those compressed air keyboard cleaning cans upside down and it was perfect cold spray (although I have no idea if it was food safe but it was somewhat common to use them a few years ago)... then people found some way to get high off of it. Now they add a bittergent to it that gives everything it touches a seriously nasty bitter taste. So we we all have to by the expensive stuff... unless you are making a dummy cake, then you can still use a standard compressed air can turned upside down.

crazydoglady Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 16

in minnesota, our cold air blasts are free!!!

jardot22 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 16

in minnesota, our cold air blasts are free!!!

icon_lol.gif Now THAT's some cold air, I'm sure!

PinkZiab Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 16

pastrychef.com is overpriced for some things. The freeze spray costs half that on Chef Rubber:


I love Chef Rubber... I get TONS of stuff from them.

marszz2 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you all so much !! that really helps !! I'm doing the castle cake with the plastic turrets but the last time I did -- it took a half hour of my holding the turrets half way in the fridge to get the candy melt to cool enough to keep the turrets in place.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 16

WOW! That is like a huge price difference between those sites. Thanks for the 411.

Peridot Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 16


And I suppose like most sites you have to have a business with a tax ID number before you can order from Chef Rubber. Is that the case with this company?


marszz2 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #12 of 16

nope, I just regeistered as a new member to order the freeze spray. I just ordered a can and with ground shipping it was 28.83. I'm just hoping it gets here before saturday.

Peridot Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #13 of 16


FANTASTIC! It's about time that we can find a place where hobby bakers can order from other than Global Sugar.


PinkZiab Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 16

I've been singing the praises of Chef Rubber on this site for ages... just the money you'll save in Tylose (CMC on chef rubber) alone is worth it!

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 16

Yes, Chef Rubber is wonderful! And you get your order asap. I often get my orders the next day.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

aundrea Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the info! Ill be sure to check out this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%