Cake Edges Are 'grooved' From The Foil Wrapping. How To Fix?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm by MrsNancyB1

MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:39am
post #1 of 6

Yesterday I baked some cakes to freeze, so that I can use them next week. After I took them out of the oven, they were perfect and level. I went ahead and wrapped them in saran wrap, and then wrapped them in foil to put in the freezer.

Unfortunately, I only had 'heavy duty' foil on hand, and the foil ended up making misshapen grooves all around the edges of all of my cakes. These are a total of 6 cakes, so I would really hate to throw them out, but I don't want the grooves to show beneath the fondant.

How can I fix this? So far, I'm thinking of adding thicker layer of buttercream underneath. I was also considering just mixing up a cake mix, putting that cake in the processor to make crumbs, then mixing the crumbs with frosting to make a 'plaster'. What other options do I have?

I'm upset about this, particularly because the cakes came out perfect from the oven. icon_cry.gif

Please help...

5 replies
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:10am
post #2 of 6

If you're just leaving them in the freezer overnight, why use foil? I just saran mine. But use the good stuff from Sam's, not the crap they sell in the grocery store that they stick housewives with.

If you *must* use foil, for whatever reason, just do a loose wrapping, not snug against the cake. When freezing with foil, the foil ends just need to be sealed closed .... the whole thing doesn't need "snug" wrapped, like you would a christmas gift.

To try to salvage, I'd try just icing with BC then do a good smoothing job to get straight and level edges. But I'm a fondant newbie so if anyone else comes along with another idea, I'd go with their's! icon_lol.gif

catlharper Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:13am
post #3 of 6

I agree with Indydeb...just make your crumb coat fill in the ridges and get it as smooth as possible. Just make sure it doesn't get too thick, keep it as thin as you can outside the ridges. Then let it crust up for a few hours...those filled ridges will take some time to really crust up. THEN put on the fondant.

Good Luck!

PinkZiab Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 6

Well you should be coating the cakes in buttercream (or some type of frosting: BC, ganache, whatever) anyway before butting the fondant on, so the grooves won't be an issue at all.

grama_j Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 6

Unless you are freezing for an extended period of time, I would omit the foil..... I do..... a good commercial plastic wrap is all you need...

MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone.

It looks like I will have to definitely use more buttercream to fill in the grooves. I hope that will do the trick, and the grooves won't be apparent after the fondant is put on.

When I've frozen cakes in the past, I used regular foil, and that worked great and didn't leave any marks in the cake. I think my problem was the heavy duty foil, because it's so stiff and makes sharp edges, that's what damaged the cakes.

At least I know for next time...

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%