How To Transport 3 Tier Cake?

Decorating By advenphoto Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 3:43am by advenphoto

advenphoto Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 6

I am making a 3 tier cake for a wedding on the 26th. It will be frosted with buttercream. What is the safest way to get it to the reception place that is an hour away? I plan on putting the tiers together there. Also, there will be fresh fruit on the cake. I am assuming I should also put that on the cake at the site? Any help is appreciated! icon_surprised.gif

5 replies
phoufer Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 6

Use sps and put it together at home. Is the fruit going on the top tier?

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:23am
post #3 of 6

Hope it isn't strawberries....yikes! And yes to SPS, is you have time to get it.

sew4children Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:28am
post #4 of 6

Can someone ride with the cake? If not, I would put the support system in ahead of time, travel with each cake in a box and assemble there.

I delivered a three tier fondant cake on Monday into an office in downtown Atlanta. There is an exit that immediately curves left and goes over the interstate. The exit has two lanes The box truck driving next to me decided he liked my lane better than his. Everything in the back shifted and my supply box tipped. The boxes saved all three cakes. The damage was minimal and I was able to repair everything to perfection.

I have delivered tiered cakes already assembled but only when I have someone to drive so that I can sit in the back with the cake in case of something.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to give you a first hand example.

Good Luck!

indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:59am
post #5 of 6

If you're planning to assemble there, just box them up and put them in the back of your delivery vehicle, like you would any regular cake.

For a long trip like that, you might put some non-skid material in the cake box, then set the cake on that. Also some non-skid under the cake box so the box doesn't slide in your car/van.

I transport my unassembled cakes on my 18x26 baking sheets. If you don't have one of these sheets, a large sturdy box will work fine, too, or a rubbermaid container (like the under-bed storage type). Here's a pic showing the cakes on one of the these baking sheets with the non-skid under the cakes: http:[email protected]/3557930383/

advenphoto Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I am doing the fresh fruit on all three layers. She requested blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and mandarin oranges. What is wrong with the strawberries? Let me know so I can talk to her if needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%