How Do You Get Your Fondant Black

Decorating By dollface24 Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 2:21am by madgeowens

dollface24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dollface24 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 16

i recently made a princess cake for my niece, it used black and bright pink fondant. i could not get the fondant white at all it ended up grayish purple. i even used a black icing paste so im not sure? help!

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 16

You have to use a lot of color, more than you would think it could take. The easiest way to make black fondant is to make chocolate fondant and then it doesn't take as much color to turn it black.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 16

If making MMF just add cocoa powder to your icing sugar and I use Americolor very black gel food coloring and it gets a solid black color.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 16

I use Satin Ice when I need black. I make my own mmf for everyday use, but black is messy. When I get in a pinch, use Americolor's Super Black. It doesn't take nearly as much.

NancyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancyS Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 16

Or you could just buy black fondant. The Satin Ice brand has it.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 16

I always buy black fondant....Satin Ice.

Way easier and a lot less mess.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyjade

If making MMF just add cocoa powder to your icing sugar and I use Americolor very black gel food coloring and it gets a solid black color.

Yep that's what I did for my black laptop cake. It was a lot easier. Before I'd serioulsy have to put almost the whole wilton thing of black color in.

morgs2485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgs2485 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 16

Good to know- I also use an entire large jar of Wilton black!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 16

Welcome to CC, dollface, here's another posting on this topic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-647714.html

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 16

I recently made my best batch. I started w/ the MMF recipe & added an additional 6 oz of bittersweet chocolate chips. Then BEFORE I added the PS I added 1/4 c of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder then added the PS then I think it was 1/2 T black color. The reason I did this is b/c Chocolate MMF can dry out terribly & I wanted all the cocoa in it before that happened. The chips give added flavor & pliability. It was the first time I didn't want to throw the chocolate MMF across the room when rolling it out.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 16

Pre-colored Satin Ice.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 16

How is the flavor for the precolored satin ice?Is it sweet or bitter?How does it compare to the taste of mmf?

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 16

Personally I like the taste of MMF better. I just made a cake using Black Satin Ice and Black MMF that I used Americolor True Black to color. I prefer the MMF because you can flavor it any way you want, it's cheaper, and I make it in my Kitchenaid, so no messy counter.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #14 of 16

I just recently was able to make black. I put cocoa(I replaced some of the cs, and just added it until it was brown) in my mmf while making it and then added 2 tbs of black coloring and it got blacker after 2 days

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:10am
post #15 of 16

Don't know about the taste but Black Satin Ice color won't go pink/green/purple.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #16 of 16

I used Satin Ice on first leather jacket. and mmf on second one. the satin ice collar cracked and fell off by morning and the mmf tasted way better. You can see for yourself the difference in the shade black...however I didnt put more than 2 tbs in mmf you could get it blacker but the taste may be yuck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%