Pleassseeee Hellllppppp!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By lindseyjean Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 3:27am by mightydragon663

lindseyjean Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #1 of 6

Ok so, I'm VERY new to this whole cake thing. I am actually just making my daughters 1st birthday cake. I love baking and have always been interested in this, but this is my first time trying it! Anyway, here is my problem: I don't know how to make icing to ice/decorate the cake with! We celebrated her birthday last weekend with my in-laws in Arkansas and when I helped my husbands cousin make it, we just used icing in a 4.5lb tub from Hobby Lobby and it was REALLLLY hard to work with! And it costs $15/tub and we had to use 2 and I really don't have that kind of money to spend! So I need to know where I can buy some or if there is someone in my area that can make me some that I can buy from them for cheaper than the Hobby Lobby stuff! I live in Stillwater, Ok! Or if someone can tell me an easy way to make it sense I'm a first timer! Thank you so much for any advice or suggestions!!

5 replies
MnSnow Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #2 of 6

There are many crusting buttercream recipes in the recipe section on this site, or are you looking for fondant?

$15 seems really expensive for icing...even premade so perhaps it is fondant you are looking for. If it's fondant, there is several recipes for making fondant in the recipe section on this site. The easiest and cheapest to make would be the Marshmallow Fondant.

mommyle Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 6

Welcome to the crew! Just keep asking questions. So many are so helpful!!!!

At this point I would personally suggest taking one or two Wilton courses (particularly the fondant course) and then you can kind of get your feet under you and then start running. They give you some good tips (sometimes) and you learn some basic stuff.

hth

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 6

This is my favorite buttercream recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

It's easy to make and tastes really good too.

my_4_dumplins Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #5 of 6

I have to agree with Texas Rose. I use that recipe too and it is super easy and super delicious! I know the tub of icing you are talking about too. I bought two of those to decorate the first cake I ever made and it was impossible to work with. Don't stress yourself out and just remember to have fun..your daughter will love it!

mightydragon663 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #6 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif I grew up in Claremore, OK

The recipe I use isn't a true buttercream, but it is super simple and tastes really good.
1/2 - 1 lb salted butter (softened)
1 lb powdered sugar
1-3 Tbsp water
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp powdered egg white
cream the butter, sugar, vanilla and egg powder slowly to avoid air bubbles
add water one Tbsp at a time until frosting is at the consistancy you want. Remeber it is much easier to thin frosting if it too thick than it is to thicken it if is too thin.
It doesn't hold up well in the heat, but is fine at room temp.
Welcome aboard! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%