Ribbon Question!

Decorating By Rita1969 Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 3:41am by Jeniwin

Rita1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rita1969 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:42am
post #1 of 18

Can I put ribbon around cake that covered with ganache?
If yes, how can I do it?

Thank you?

Rita

17 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 18

I would think so....it dries with a slight crust? Cut to size and attach with a little dot of gel or icing.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #3 of 18

Hello Rita - Certainly, just remember, don't pull the ribbon too tight around the cake tho as it will crease into the Ganache - and that looks a bit icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif .

You can cut a strip of oven bake paper the same width and lay that around the cake first - then lay your ribbon over the top of that - and adhere it at the back, just overlapping it a bit with either a dab of icing - or a small pin - (remembering to tell the customer that the pin is there tho)
By doing it this way no ganache/moisture will seep through to the ribbon.

Or you could cut out say two little flowers from fondant and adhere them to the join - in a contrasting colour.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Rita1969 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 18

Thank you so much!

Can I use this with any icing? Like whipped cream?

brikl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brikl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 18

I've been wondering about using ribbons on cakes in general because wouldn't the dyes not be food-safe?

Rita1969 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 18

I think if you put wax paper under the ribbon it will be safe!?!?
But I'm not sure. Lots of excellent baker use it, so we can use it somehow.

Rita

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 18

Well, I've started breaking my own never-break rule about non-food items on a cake. Today I'm attaching 3 row rhinestone banding to the cake. HOWEVER, I sanitized the rhinestone banding *and* the T-pins and packed them in a clean container. They may be non-edible, but they are now safe to touch the cake.

I'd say if the fabric ribbon will survive a run thru a clorox or quat solution, it would be safe enough.

Then attach it with a large pearl head pin (that has been sanitized) or a dot of icing or gel.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 18

Agree with leah about the ribbons.

I would overlap the ends of the ribbon and use double sided tape (just on the back of ends) to attach it.

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #9 of 18

leah_s...what did you sanitize them with?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercuppie

leah_s...what did you sanitize them with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'd say if the fabric ribbon will survive a run thru a clorox or
quat solution, it would be safe enough.

Then attach it with a large pearl head pin (that has been sanitized) or a dot of icing or gel.

HTH

cakeartbypam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeartbypam Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:18am
post #11 of 18

A good thing to use is the cake band strip from Kopykake (www.kopykake.com). I use this all the time. You cut the length you need from the roll, then cut the strip to the proper width of your ribbon. It's the clear plastic band you place around torted cakes (like you see at bakeries so you can see the filling inside the torted cake). Just use a quick dot of hot glue to attach the cake band and then place your ribbon on top of the band. I also adhere a small tuxedo-style bow hot-glued to the join of the ribbon to hide it. Some brides like it so much that they want the bows in front.

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:30am
post #12 of 18

Sorry to get away from the initial question, but how about over fondant. I did a cake a few weeks ago and had rick rack ribbon around one of the tiers. It was in the fridge overnight and in the morning I noticed the ribbon was hanging lose. It was still tacked in back with RI, but not taught. I have to do a 4 tier cake next weekend and she wants very thin (1/16") satin ribbons on all the tiers. Because the ribbon is so thin, I wouldn't want to tack it with RI except in back. Also, the cake must be refrigerated. I'm afraid the ribbons will sag again. Any thoughts?

cakeartbypam Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #13 of 18

Basic science - cold causes shrinkage (notice how your rings get loose when it's cold outside?), so all you need to do is readjust your ribbons. I even use the cake band when I use ribbons over fondant (over any icing). I don't know if the ink in the ribbon can affect the cake or whether it's clean/food-safe. If you use a hot-glue dot to reaffix, no problem! The glue shouldn't touch the cake, and the ribbon should only touch the cake band.

Jeniwin Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #14 of 18

Stupid question- what's a cake band? How do you stick a VERY thin ribbon? Thanks for the help.

cakeartbypam Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #15 of 18

Hmmmm....very thin ribbons are a pain. I use a paper cutter (the old kind with the arm you press down) to cut my strips. It's easier than cutting it by hand with a pair of scissors. I usually use ribbons of 5/8" width or larger. Here's a link to the kakeband -

http://kopykake.com/cd_accessories.html

If it doesn't work, go to www.kopykake.com and do a search on Klear Kake Band (it should come up in a pulldown menu.)

Jeniwin Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #16 of 18

can I get this at Michael's? Please tell me yes.

cakeartbypam Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #17 of 18

Aw, come on! Do you really think life is that easy? LOL! I very much doubt it, but some cake shops carry it (at least the strips; not the roll) or you can order it from www.kopykake.com. If you try a local cake shop, I'd print out the picture/info and take it with me just in case. Good luck!

Jeniwin Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #18 of 18

Thanks, I make calls in the morning. Great help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%