Bc Rose Petals All Jegged - How Do You Do It?

Decorating By BJ Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm by brikl

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 14

I just did a cake with BC roses - now I can make a decent rose but I see other roses in the albums and the petals are so smooth - no jaggedy (is that a word?) edges. I use a stiff consistency icing - any tips on how to make the icing pipe smooth? The stiff consistency isn't so stiff that it's hard to pipe.......It's a good consistency. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 14

lol sorry i've made tons of roses and am just about to say yea, finally could actually put it on a cake, truefully i think they are fake, lol sorry some are so beautiful i swear they arn't real bc. i get the jagged edge and they said u can open the tip a little, or file it in case there is a burr inside, when i take my bag and squeeze some out into the bowl perfect and i start the flower ruffles so i've decided i like the ruffles, since i'm so close to making a good rose, it does have to be pretty stiff, but then again sometimes i think it is to stiff and it won't stick on some places. so are you confused i sure am. i did watch one of the video's and it said don't turn your wrist, and i hold the bag pretty much straight and go up and down. one lady said it took her 10 years so i figure i have 9 to go. but i'll still take the ruffles, good luck and i'll give you a bump

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 14

Add a little piping gel to your BC.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #4 of 14

i was told to add corn syrup

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 14

I did add a little corn syrup to mine and that helped the smoothness a lot. I am still working on the consistency. icon_smile.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #6 of 14

cool i'll try anything thanks

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 14

Yep, a little piping gel, or corn syrup to smooth it out; and check the tip to be sure it didn't get squished at the narrow end.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 14

Sounds like you have the icing too stiff. Adding piping gel will help some. I make roses with IMBC, which is extremely soft. You don't have to have the icing anywhere near as stiff as you think you do in order to pipe a rose.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

I just did a cake with BC roses - now I can make a decent rose but I see other roses in the albums and the petals are so smooth - no jaggedy (is that a word?) edges. I use a stiff consistency icing - any tips on how to make the icing pipe smooth? The stiff consistency isn't so stiff that it's hard to pipe.......It's a good consistency. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

Make your buttercrea with HOT liquid...what ever you use....water, milk, etc. Use a little less than for icing to spread on the cake, then let it set a couple hours to firm up....you will get smooth petals!

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the tips - I'll give it a try this weekend.

Trials_N_Error Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trials_N_Error Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 14

I just started working part time at a bakery at a grocery store and to be honest most of their cakes look like garbage. As do many supermarket cakes. What I've noticed is that it is more about producing a lot of cakes and not worrying about how they look so much.

Anyway... they normally don't make roses on cakes that require using a nail (because it is too time comsuming I guess) I thought I would be a "rebel" the other day and attempt to actually make some pretty cakes for a change. lol

Their BC that comes premade in buckets are like mush and trying to make a rose was virtually impossible. I tried over and over again and all the petals would turn into one big ugly glob of goo.

Any suggestions or should I just go back to making ugly, weird looking "things" that are supposed to be flowers on my cakes? lol

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 14

I was in Publix early this morning and the cake decorater was making roses for a cake. She was so fast and the roses were gorgeous. I just stood and watched, trying to absorb her technique. She made them and then placed them right onto a cake. I noticed the icing seemed to be a very smooth consistency, not stiff. I get the jagged edges on my roses sometimes too, so I'm going to try some of the tips in this thread.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

I was in Publix early this morning and the cake decorater was making roses for a cake. She was so fast and the roses were gorgeous. I just stood and watched, trying to absorb her technique. She made them and then placed them right onto a cake. I noticed the icing seemed to be a very smooth consistency, not stiff. I get the jagged edges on my roses sometimes too, so I'm going to try some of the tips in this thread.

Yup! My roses got MUCH better when I worked at Publix. That's how I learned that really stiff icing actually doesn't make as good roses as a smooth, properly aerated icing.

brikl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brikl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #14 of 14

The only way I've been able to get really pretty roses with somooth edges are by using the canned Wilton icing or by making icing with high-ratio shortening. Otherwise, IMBC or royal icing, but they're so radically different from powdered sugar bc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%