Bc Rose Petals All Jegged - How Do You Do It?

Decorating By BJ Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm by brikl

BJ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 14

I just did a cake with BC roses - now I can make a decent rose but I see other roses in the albums and the petals are so smooth - no jaggedy (is that a word?) edges. I use a stiff consistency icing - any tips on how to make the icing pipe smooth? The stiff consistency isn't so stiff that it's hard to pipe.......It's a good consistency. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 14

lol sorry i've made tons of roses and am just about to say yea, finally could actually put it on a cake, truefully i think they are fake, lol sorry some are so beautiful i swear they arn't real bc. i get the jagged edge and they said u can open the tip a little, or file it in case there is a burr inside, when i take my bag and squeeze some out into the bowl perfect and i start the flower ruffles so i've decided i like the ruffles, since i'm so close to making a good rose, it does have to be pretty stiff, but then again sometimes i think it is to stiff and it won't stick on some places. so are you confused i sure am. i did watch one of the video's and it said don't turn your wrist, and i hold the bag pretty much straight and go up and down. one lady said it took her 10 years so i figure i have 9 to go. but i'll still take the ruffles, good luck and i'll give you a bump

Kellbella Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 14

Add a little piping gel to your BC.

Elise87 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #4 of 14

i was told to add corn syrup

mjk350 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 14

I did add a little corn syrup to mine and that helped the smoothness a lot. I am still working on the consistency. icon_smile.gif

ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #6 of 14

cool i'll try anything thanks

7yyrt Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 14

Yep, a little piping gel, or corn syrup to smooth it out; and check the tip to be sure it didn't get squished at the narrow end.

prterrell Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 14

Sounds like you have the icing too stiff. Adding piping gel will help some. I make roses with IMBC, which is extremely soft. You don't have to have the icing anywhere near as stiff as you think you do in order to pipe a rose.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

I just did a cake with BC roses - now I can make a decent rose but I see other roses in the albums and the petals are so smooth - no jaggedy (is that a word?) edges. I use a stiff consistency icing - any tips on how to make the icing pipe smooth? The stiff consistency isn't so stiff that it's hard to pipe.......It's a good consistency. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

Make your buttercrea with HOT liquid...what ever you use....water, milk, etc. Use a little less than for icing to spread on the cake, then let it set a couple hours to firm up....you will get smooth petals!

BJ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the tips - I'll give it a try this weekend.

Trials_N_Error Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 14

I just started working part time at a bakery at a grocery store and to be honest most of their cakes look like garbage. As do many supermarket cakes. What I've noticed is that it is more about producing a lot of cakes and not worrying about how they look so much.

Anyway... they normally don't make roses on cakes that require using a nail (because it is too time comsuming I guess) I thought I would be a "rebel" the other day and attempt to actually make some pretty cakes for a change. lol

Their BC that comes premade in buckets are like mush and trying to make a rose was virtually impossible. I tried over and over again and all the petals would turn into one big ugly glob of goo.

Any suggestions or should I just go back to making ugly, weird looking "things" that are supposed to be flowers on my cakes? lol

moxey2000 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 14

I was in Publix early this morning and the cake decorater was making roses for a cake. She was so fast and the roses were gorgeous. I just stood and watched, trying to absorb her technique. She made them and then placed them right onto a cake. I noticed the icing seemed to be a very smooth consistency, not stiff. I get the jagged edges on my roses sometimes too, so I'm going to try some of the tips in this thread.

prterrell Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

I was in Publix early this morning and the cake decorater was making roses for a cake. She was so fast and the roses were gorgeous. I just stood and watched, trying to absorb her technique. She made them and then placed them right onto a cake. I noticed the icing seemed to be a very smooth consistency, not stiff. I get the jagged edges on my roses sometimes too, so I'm going to try some of the tips in this thread.

Yup! My roses got MUCH better when I worked at Publix. That's how I learned that really stiff icing actually doesn't make as good roses as a smooth, properly aerated icing.

brikl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #14 of 14

The only way I've been able to get really pretty roses with somooth edges are by using the canned Wilton icing or by making icing with high-ratio shortening. Otherwise, IMBC or royal icing, but they're so radically different from powdered sugar bc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%