How Not To Bake A Cake

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm by Kiddiekakes

-Tubbs Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. Prepare pans.
3. Mix ingredients, fill pans half full.
4. Put in oven. Do not set timer.
5. Go out, run errands, go grocery shopping, pick up kids from school, start stripping paint from exterior deck railings. Try to be gone at least 4 hours.
6. Come in house.
7. Shout "OH, S%^&!!!!"
8. Turn off oven.
9. Open windows.
10. Scrape and soak pans.
11. Sulk.

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 9

Oh My...You are lucky the house didn't burn down..Burnt cake gives off the worst smell and smoke...I'm surprised your smoke detecter didn't go off...Glad nothing serious happened.

Hey did that woman ever order that Baby shower cake for last weekend?

Laurel icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #3 of 9

icon_cry.gif and icon_lol.gif

Sorry this happened to you. It's my worst nightmare, only in mine, I do set the timer, then forget about it and go out, only to come home to a smokey house, with both the oven beeper AND the smoke alarm blaring!

Lorendabug Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 9

You mean I am not the only one who has done something like that? icon_biggrin.gif

MnSnow Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 9

Ahh don't feel bad...
Yesterday was baking a cake for Grand daughters Birthday and kept smelling a burnt smell. Checked the cake...nope not burning but looks weird.

Checked cakes again...mmmmm top nicley browning but not testing done yet. Wait a little while longer...cakes look done so I take them out and look at them...stuck a toothpick in and it came out wet yet. WTH??!!

So I told my DBF the oven was going out and he asked me.....

"Is it on Broil?"

DUHHHHHHHHHHH yeah it was icon_redface.gif

adree313 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #6 of 9

icon_cry.gif i hate when this stuff happens! so sorry it happened to you.

my little story is i was making little apple tartlet thingys icon_confused.gif lol and i put them in like always... watched some tv for a little while. i looked out the window and noticed a haze in the house. UH OH my first thought was "omg the oven's on fire!" i ran into the kitchen to check my tarts and they themselves were fine, but the filling was oozing out a little (like usual... on the parchment paper) and it was BURNING. it never did that before!

i opened up the over and smoke was EVERYWHERE. i'm so lucky the fire alarm didn't go off. i wouldn't have known how to get to it to turn it off (we have REALLY high ceilings and for some unknown reason the fire alarm is way, WAY out of reach.

anyways, the tarts turned out fine, just a lot of burned sugar on parchment paper.

weird thing, NEVER smelled the burning sugar. go figure lol.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #7 of 9

I did something similar with pizza crust. Except in my case, I had set the timer but for some reason I don't know, must have turned it off. I didn't remember turning it off - only on and seeing it counting down. But it went off, I forgot about it, and ended with a big round cracker. At least it didn't burn, but it was way way way way overdone.

-Tubbs Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:00am
post #8 of 9

It was in my basement kitchen, where the door seals really well, which is why the smoke detector didn't pick it up. Wow, chocolate cake REALLY burns onto pans though. Sheesh! Still soaking now. Anyway, no harm done, and I now will never put a cake into the oven without clipping a timer onto my belt!

Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hey did that woman ever order that Baby shower cake for last weekend?

No, she didn't. Not from you either then? She did vaguely order cookies but never responded to my quote, then when I finally followed up to ask for details and whether she actually wanted them she said they were too expensive!! I wonder what they had at the shower?!

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 9

Me neither..It sounded like she was tire kicking!!Probably got a cake from Safeway or Co-op...I really don't like it when people waste my time! you have a website? What is it?

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%