Pan Hieght Questions!

Decorating By motherofgrace Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 7

hi!

So which is better 2in, or 3 in?

currently i use 2 in, and fill it half way with batter... but when i see your cakes, they all seem to be MUCH MUCH taller coming out of the oven. What am I doing wrong?

Like 1 box, makes 2 9" layers..... and it still seems flat?

6 replies
sadsmile Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:07am
post #2 of 7

Right now you are baking 1" layers. Some torte their cakes into four 1" layers and stack and fill it up to make 4".

I bake in two inch pans. I collar the pans with parchment fill past the 3/4 mark. Greese pan, cut 4" strip of parchment and line the inside edge of pan. Four the bottom as normal. They bake up about 2 inches. I cool and level them. Two layers per tier with filling in the middle is about 4 inches.

I use one recipe for a 8 and 9 inch pan. You can collar and then pour it all in there! thumbs_up.gif

motherofgrace Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 7

"Four the bottom as normal"

what does that mean and thanks!

JanH Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:39am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-diva1986

hi!

currently i use 2 in, and fill it half way with batter...

You're not using enough batter in your pans. icon_sad.gif

Wilton recommends filling 2" pans 2/3 full and 3" pans 1/2 full.

Here's a superthread on making, decorating and assembling tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above includes popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant, and doctored cake mix (WASC with flavor variations) and so much more!

Such as link to Wilton's cake making/baking help charts which give batter requirements by pan sizes as well as recommended baking times and times and more.

To address your question about 2" vs 3" pans... A lot of members (myself included) have tried both and prefer the 2" pans because it's easier and faster to bake two 2" layers than bake the 3" (since this size seems to have more baking "issues" and takes forever in the oven).

CC Article on How to Collar Your Cake Pans:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/101

HTH

jdconcc Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:10am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-diva1986

"Four the bottom as normal"

what does that mean and thanks!

Probably just a typo meaning flour as normal? I usually use parchment in the bottom of mine too, though rather than flour.

sadsmile Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 7

Yeah me and my typoes... sorry. My brain can spell but my fingers can't.
Flour the bottom of the pan as normal. Or you can cut a parchment circle for the bottom of the pan.

motherofgrace Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 7

thanks so much both of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%