Smbc Storage Problems

Decorating By sabriana Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 7:53am by sabriana

sabriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabriana Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 8

Hi. Just made a cake and used a SMBC recipe - (egg whites, sugar, butter flavouring) it was beautiful and tasted amazing when I first made it. However, I stuck it in the fridge until I was ready to fill and when I rewhipped it, the taste was gone... It tasted mostly of butter - no more meringue flavour. Any ideas why that may have happened?

Also, once rewhipped the condensation on it really watered down the cake - something of a mess.

I loved the taste and texture at first, but I am missing something on the storage.

Hope someone can help me.

7 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 8

smbc flavor is at it's peak at room temp. you will probably always find that you taste the flavor less strongly when it is cold or a bit chilled.

how did you get condensation on your smbc? wasn't it covered? i am a bit at a loss here because i haven't had this problem or heard of it.

before rewhipping, bring it to room temp, then whip.
be prepared that it might look seriously ugly before it all comes together again and looks as good as it did originally.

on the flavoring, how much did you use? smbc should have a lot (LOT) more flavoring added to it than regular powder sugar buttercream.

perhaps what you have is cold smbc with not enough flavoring added?

diane

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

smbc flavor is at it's peak at room temp. you will probably always find that you taste the flavor less strongly when it is cold or a bit chilled.

how did you get condensation on your smbc? wasn't it covered? i am a bit at a loss here because i haven't had this problem or heard of it.

before rewhipping, bring it to room temp, then whip.
be prepared that it might look seriously ugly before it all comes together again and looks as good as it did originally.

on the flavoring, how much did you use? smbc should have a lot (LOT) more flavoring added to it than regular powder sugar buttercream.

perhaps what you have is cold smbc with not enough flavoring added?

diane

Exactly what I would have asked you as well. SMBC is rather like a stick of butter until it gets back to room temp. Once at room temp, and once a cake that has been iced in SMBC comes to room temp, should be no problem.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 8

Hold the phone....did you say butter flavoring? Not real butter?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 8

OP, please post the recipe you used, that might help.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #6 of 8

Ummmm, where's the butter? Sounds like what you made was a butter flavored meringue, NOT a swiss meringue buttercream. You need beat ACTUAL butter into the meringue and you will THEN have SMBC. After that, all of the above advice will apply.

Unless of course, you meant to type "...butter, flavoring..." instead og "...butter flavoring..." In which case, just ignore me lol.

sabriana Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:51am
post #7 of 8

Hi Butter was used in the recipe... Butter, egg whites (real), vanilla (real)

2 cups of egg whites (approx. 12 large)
3 cups sugar
5 cups butter, softened (2 1/2 pounds, 10 sticks)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Icing was covered... and was placed in fridge.

I may have to chalk this up to being in Ireland again. Everything that works normally in the States gets all wonky here.

sabriana Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:53am
post #8 of 8

by the way, I see where you all could see that I was using butter flavouring... I missed a comma!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%