This May Be A Silly Question...

Baking By carmenid Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm by carmenid

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 7

But I am going to ask anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

I have been trying different icing recipes lately, mostly for cupcake decorating. I like to pipe pretty frosting swirls on my cupcakes but you can't really do that with most frostings, or at least that has been my experience specially with cream cheese frosting and the swiss meringue buttercream. I need to make a batch of maple frosting for cupcakes and I need it to be stiff enough to create rossettes on my cupcakes, how do I do that? ; guess my question is what is the key to make icing stiff enough to pipe? does it has to do with the amount of sugar on the recipe? with the amount of fats?

as I said this may be a silly question but I am horrible at balancing ingredients in cake batters and frostings. Any tips that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 7

From my experience the less liquid you add or the more PS you add will make it more stiff...but I make BC with butter, PS, milk and then whatever falvoring.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 7

I use IMBC to pipe beautiful cupcakes all the time (see my pics). I use a tip 2D.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 7

When I make maple frosting, I use Indydebi's recipe and add some Adams maple flavoring to it. It makes beautiful swirls.

carmenid Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

When I make maple frosting, I use Indydebi's recipe and add some Adams maple flavoring to it. It makes beautiful swirls.

Where can I get that recipe? here on CC? Is it Maple frosting or regular frosting with maple flaroving added to it?

thanks!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 7

carmenid - use indydebi's buttercream recipe (here on cc) and use maple flavoring instead of the flavorings suggested. HTH

carmenid Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

carmenid - use indydebi's buttercream recipe (here on cc) and use maple flavoring instead of the flavorings suggested. HTH

Where can I get maple flavoring from? I am making the cupcakes this weekend, I won't have time to order anything over the internet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%