Wholesale Premium Chocolate-Where Do You Buy?

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 6:27am by saffronica

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 9

Up until now, I've been mainly getting Valrhona or Callebaut chocolate for my ganache and other stuff. Albert Uster seems to have some great deals on their orchid line of couverture chocolate. For those of you in the states, where do you get yours? Wholesale, not by the individual bar at the supermarket.

Any smokin deals out there on premium chocolate anyone can direct me to? Thanks!

8 replies
Charmed Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Jamie,
where do you get your Valrhona or Callebaut chocolate? could you let me know how much do you pay/Lb? I am also looking for good quality chocolate.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 9

http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/

Everything you could ever want! I love it, but I'm ready to simplify a bit, and get a more reasonablly priced brand that I can count on. Stop experimenting so much, pick one and figure out if it will work for me.

I have come to realize that as much as I want to emphasize using foo-foo chocolate, I think it falls on deaf ears....and as long as it tastes and performs well, do I really have to keep ordering the super expensive stuff? I'm not gonna use bags of chips from the supermarket, but an appropriately priced couverture is what I seek. icon_smile.gif

BTW.....anyone ever made chipotle peppers ganache, or pink peppercorn ganache? Or anything fiery? Paired with choco mud cake.....what a blast! So different! And so fun to watch people (after your persuade them try it, usually with resistance) squint their eyes and try hard to NOT like it. Fun stuff!

brian1974 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 9

which Callebaut do you use for your ganache?

callets?

semi sweet/bitter/milk/white?

thanks

Brian

saffronica Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 9

Wow, no wonder you're looking for a cheaper source! I just checked out that site, and their cheapest Callebaut callets are $10/lb.! I pay $4/lb. for 52% cocoa Callebaut callets at a cake/restaurant supply store. I always buy in person, but I know they ship -- their website is www.gygi.com. And you could likely find a better price with a little more searching, so you might not have to switch to a lesser brand after all.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1974

which Callebaut do you use for your ganache?

callets?

semi sweet/bitter/milk/white?

thanks

Brian

Between 60 and 66%...there's a couple of listings for it.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

Wow, no wonder you're looking for a cheaper source! I just checked out that site, and their cheapest Callebaut callets are $10/lb.! I pay $4/lb. for 52% cocoa Callebaut callets at a cake/restaurant supply store. I always buy in person, but I know they ship -- their website is www.gygi.com. And you could likely find a better price with a little more searching, so you might not have to switch to a lesser brand after all.

I was told never to go below 60% or above 75% for making ganache. Is that crap? I'm cool with using whatever if it doesn't matter! icon_smile.gif Are your ratios the same?

Checking out that site now, thanks for the link!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:42am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

I was told never to go below 60% or above 75% for making ganache. Is that crap? I'm cool with using whatever if it doesn't matter! icon_smile.gif Are your ratios the same?

Checking out that site now, thanks for the link!!

Why do they say that? Personally, I thik that's crap. I use Ghiradelli's (I'm from the Bay Area, so of course it's my preference) bittersweet which is 60% with equal parts of their semi-sweet which is between 35-45%. For me personally, it gives it just the right depth, without that complete bitterness you get from an all bittersweet chocolate ganache. I know Callebaut is the "lexus" of chocolate, but it's expensive and I can't find it out here in large quantities. then again, even if I could, it's EXPENSIVE.

saffronica Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:27am
post #9 of 9

I am certainly not a chocolate expert, but I've mastered the art of eating it, and I think my ganache made with 52% is delicious. Of course, maybe if I tried yours I'd think differently! I don't know how your customers like it, but most people I know are used to milk chocolate and think even the 52% is a little too dark. If you try it, please post and let us know what you think -- I'd love to know others' opinions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%