I Forgot 1 Cup Of Sugar!! Can I Fix It?

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm by sjmoral

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

I forgot 1 cup of sugar in a white cake recipe (the total was 5 cups... it has 4)
I cut out a piece since I am forming a cat's head and it is bland, not sweet at all (I know white cake is bland anyway... for me...)
Can I fix this with simple syroup even if it's not a sponge cake? And it's not suppose to have filling so maybe I should add a filling for flavor?
I would just hate to throw away a 13 x 3 cake!!! Not even mentioning that I used all my cake flour already...
Please advice!!! This is for tomorrow and I need to know if I should just run to the store...
THANKS!!!!!!!!
Sheila

3 replies
pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 4

I think if you fill it you might be able to cover it up...

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 4

You can syrup a butter / shortening cake. I'm a big fan of Rose Levy Beranbaum...and burried somewhere in The Cake Bible, is a formula for how much syrup you can use. (I think it is a certain amount of syrup per egg...or something like that). If you have access to the book, i think the info is somewhere in the wedding cake section but I'm not sure.

Anyway, short version is: You can put syrup on the cake to sweeten it...just not sure exactly how much.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks... I guess this is just not my day... I made the wrong flavor anyway, it was a marble cake and not a white cake. I will freeze this one and just use it for my Wilton classes that I will teach starting in October. I hope I don't mess up or otherwise the students are going to talk trash about me icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif
Thanks anyway.
Sheila

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%