Shopping For Pans

Decorating By ahannaford76 Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 1:23am by sweetreasures

ahannaford76 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 8

I am just getting in to decorating cakes and I wanted to buy a few staple pans. ( Some round, square, and sheet pans) I am taking some Wilton classes and of course all they promote is Wilton pans. I wanted to know what do most people use. I saw Magic, Fat Daddio, and Wilton and I just dont know which ones to get. Is there a standard preference or is it just personal preference. Thanks for any suggestions.

Alicia
P.S. If there is a better place to post this question please let me know. I am new to posting here.

7 replies
mjk350 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 8

I recently got Magic Line and the cake baked very nice and did not use the Wilton bake even strips.

Williamus Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 8

For round pans...I really like Willams Sonoma. They are very expensive...but made of very heavy metal and are practically indistructable. I don't like the square pans from them, they don't have straight sides. (I don't remember what my square pans are...I'm not at home so I can't check...I did get them in New York at the Broadway Panhandler

suzyq0204 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8

I have Wilton and Fat Daddio pans. I think the rounds are similar in that the sides are straight up and down - no slant. However, the squares on the Wilton are slanted vs Fat Daddio which are straight sides. I prefer the Fat Daddio for that reason. The sides are nice and straight when you stack vs having to trim the sides with the wilton cakes to get a straight side. I also find the Fat Daddio are sturdier pans as well.

Uniqueask Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 8

A lot of people on here, recommend magic line, especially the one that have bakeries, I have a lot of Wilton, like you said, that was all the teacher recommend, but I have never had a problem with them, I am in the process of being licensed and when I have to replace my Wilton I will try magic Line

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 8

For square, definitley invest in Magic Line. Truly straight sharp corners.

ibmoser Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 8

What Jamie said thumbs_up.gif . I do prefer Magic Line, but I have a good many Wilton round pans because they were the only ones available locally when I first started. I really have no problems with them, but I usually wrap the sides in a strip of toweling because they are thinner gauge metal than Magic Line.

sweetreasures Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #8 of 8

I have Magic Line which I bought on Ebay when I didn't know the difference between manufacturers. I lucked out there. I also have 2 - 6" Wilton given to me which I will keep, they work fine. I recently purchased an 8" square Fat Daddios even though it had curved corners - they didn't carry ML and compared the two with FD being molded as one piece and ML as being welded together at the corners. I like the look of crisp straight corners so I would probably get ML for the rest of my squares. I didn't frost the 8" square so I'm not sure how the finished look will turn out. The proprietor indicated it would turn out fine, and perhaps it will with BC, I'm not so sure with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%