Help With Preparing Cake To Be Covered In Fondant

Decorating By peony421 Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 6:16am by JanH

peony421 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 4

I have made 3 fondant covered cakes so far. 2 were cakes I made and 1 was a store-bought pre-iced cake. I don't feel like I did a good job doing to the buttercream frosting to prepare the cakes to be covered. Are there any good tutorials on how to do this and the steps should be used. Especially if you are going to do a filled cake. The cakes I made in the past (my practice cakes) were basically a 9x13 single layer. I'm a novice at the baking. I enjoy doing the decorating, but I don't want to keep buying store-bought cakes. I would appreciate any input.

3 replies
lapazlady Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 4

There probably are tutorials here on CC, search under "articles". What was your difficulty in preparing a cake for fondant? You weren't comfortable the crumb coat wasn't smooth enough? Make your cake, put it in the fridge for several hours, now it's ready to be torted, filled and crumb coated. Make the crumb coating thin, you just want to protect the cake, not ice it. Put the cake in the fridge for 15 minutes or so. Take it out and gently smooth it with a paper towel. Put it back in the fridge if the icing begins to get too soft. It doesn't have to be perfect. When the cake is ready, and you're comfortable with it, put it back in the fridge with a light weight on it to squeeze out the excess filling. In a couple of hours (I usually leave it overnight) take the cake out, trim off any offending bludges and reapply butter cream to the places you had to remove. You are now ready to put on the fondant. A fondant smoother is a wonderful tool and will help you make the fondant appear smooth. Hope that helps. Nothing to it, but to do it. It will be much better than store bought.

gimmesugar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:59am
post #3 of 4

Search for "fondant" on YouTube - there's a lot that are really helpful.

JanH Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:16am
post #4 of 4

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more!

Quote by @%username% on %date%