How Many Servings In 9" Round - Really...

Decorating By still_learning Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm by sadsmile

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked for a cake to feed 20-25 people. I was thinking a 9" round would be great but I've checked a couple different serving charts and they vary. Wilton's party cake servings says 24 but Whimsical Bakehouse says a 9" round serves up to 18. What do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

5 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 6

9in round is plenty. The serving charts are one of the few Wilton things I like lol - they are perfectly accurate so long as you cut the cakes properly (Indydebi's way)!

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 6

Cake cutting = scary! It is something I have yet to master. Is Indydebi's way posted on here somewhere? Like you I don't trust Wilton for much so I'm glad to hear your endorsement - I love your cakes (saved in my favs). Thanks!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 6

Honestly, it depends on how you cut it/what size slices you cut. If you cut triangular wedges (think pie slice or pizza slice), you will get fewer slices than if you use the methods described by Wilton and Indydebi.

Say your cake is 9" in diameter. That means you have 63.585 inches (pi x radius x radius) of surface to divide amongst the servings.

If your slices of cake are 2"x2", you'll get 15 servings.

If your slices are 1.5"x2", you'll get 21 servings.

If your slices are 1.5"x1.5", you'll get 28 servings.

If your slices are 1"x2", you'll get 31 servings.

HTH!

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 6

it depends on how tall the cake is...a two layer cake (baked in 9" by 2" high pans) will serve 12 - 14...depending on the size of the slices...I've even gotten 16 out of it.

a three layer cake will serve 15-18...or even 24 depending on the size of the slices.

It will depend on if there will be other deserts....etc.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 6

The one inch slice is a great size for an 8 or 9 inch pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%