Monkey See Monkey Do Next Week

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 12:47pm by CandyLady

CandyLady Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 10

I have entered an earlier request for help on this topic. I am doing a twin cake next week and I have the most adorable marzipan monkeys in sets that I will be using on top of the family cake...I was thinking of trying to work a mirror or something into this theme and have them looking at each other somehow. I cannot find a mirror small enough to STAND on the cake. Do you have any great suggestions? Thanks.

9 replies
ChelleK73 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 10

How small do you want the mirror? I've seen those little dental mirrors in drug stores. But I don't know if that would be too small for you.

Melnick Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 10

What about covering a small piece of cardboard with the shiny side of alfoil? Would be a reflective surface.

majka_ze Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 10

Not really sure about the size you need - but what about making a sheet of gelatin in wire frame? Similar when you make wings for marzipan or gumpaste bees or fairies? The wire frame would give the gelatin sheet a form and stability.

tatorchip Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 10

bring your mirror to a glass cutting shop and have them cut two the exact size you want and glue together back to back HTH

CandyLady Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 10

love idea..never made gelatin anything...not sure how I would do that, need to find a small mirror to stand as monkeys are two inches tall so a dental mirror would not work. Not sure I want to take a mirror to a glass cutting place and have them cut and glue it...the cakes are costing me enough and she has 2 1 year olds and 1 2 year old so trying to give her a break on the price. I appreciate your thoughts.

momvarden Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 10

what about taking out a compact mirror those are round and small well some of them. look for candle mirrors. ben franklin crafts carries alot of different sized mirrors.

CandyLady Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:53am
post #8 of 10

I am in Ohio and actually went to a craft store first...they have various sizes of mirrors that lay flat on a cake...I guess I could sit them around the mirror but wanted them to be kind of looking at each other on opposite sides...I will figure something out. thanks for your idea.

majka_ze Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 10

CandyLady - if you want to try the gelatine idea - the recipe and good description is here .
I would take piece of wire and make the mirror frame first from it. Then prepare the gelatin mixture - for you, two teaspoons of gelatin to five teaspoons water are more than enough. Lay the wire frame on a plastic mat (you need smooth surface, not the veining sheets people are using in the above mentioned thread) and pour (or brush) the gelatin mixture on it. Let it completely dry - overnight or even longer, depending of the height of the gelatin layer. It dries completely hard, smooth - like a plastic. Cut around the wire frame, which should now be encased in gelatin.
Another way is to make simply the gelatin sheet and glue it later on your frame - made from wire, RI, fondant - whatever you want.
Do more than you need and choose the best result.

Good luck!

CandyLady Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 10

well that sounds easy enough...I will have to give it a try! thanks much for the directions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%