Very Fancy Monogram Help!

Decorating By chefamanda Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm by ibmoser

chefamanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefamanda Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:27am
post #1 of 3

I just made a very fancy gumpaste monogram. I shaped wire to make the letter and then used gumpaste. Now I have 2 problems.
1. the letter is a G but because it's fancy it has a "hook" (scrolly curve) hanging from the right side. So it is lower than the base of the G and will touch the cake first. Any ideas on how to display this ? I was thinking some sort of fontant vase or something. If I do decide to stand it up on the cake (just closer to the front so the scroll hangs off the side), how do I get the monogram to stand up. It's very curvy. I've done simple letters and numbers, but this one is very curvy!

Any tips!?

2 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:35am
post #2 of 3

When I do a #/letter for a topper I usually attach a skewer into it and use that to push into the cake once it has dried.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 3

I, too, use a support to lift and stabilize the letters/doo-dads. I usually use a 20-guage wire, though, and kinda bend it to fit the lower half of the ornament if it is a rounded shape so that it comes straight down from the center bottom of the ornament. I then push a straw into the cake to hold the wire. Since yours is already made, maybe you can attach a wire or skewer to the back with chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%