What Should I Make For "my" Birthday Cake???

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 12:09am by ninatat

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:40am
post #1 of 22

I just can't make up my mind....any ideas? What should I make for myself...nothing too terribly difficult, I am not that good. I would love pics to get some ideas....I have a couple I am thinking of doing...but would love some suggestions. Thanks

21 replies
madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:15am
post #2 of 22

please icon_sad.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 22

Havn't got any specific ideas but it would be the perfect opportunity to maybe try any techniques that you havn't done before or practice on others again.

Also if you've had any cake ideas in the past that you have wanted to do but havn't had the chance to why not give them a go?

Sorry i wouldn't be of any more help.....i got a few simple cakes in my photo's but they are nothing ultra fancy

Anyway Have fun with whatever you decide to do icon_smile.gif

Oh and happy birthday for the 27th!

madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:27am
post #4 of 22

Thank you Elise.....there are so many things I have not tried that it has not really narrowed the ideas lol........I am thinking girly and pretty, since I never get the chance to do that....thanks again

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:31am
post #5 of 22

When I get to pick how to design a cake, I first go to my collection of "cake idea" photos. Then I pick something that looks fun--something I wish someone would order from me. Have fun! It's your birthday!

Elise87 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:33am
post #6 of 22

oh i love girly and pretty cakes! they are my fav to do, most of my practice cakes are girly etc ones lol

But yeh it is hard to come up with ideas when there are no idea limitations

madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:34am
post #7 of 22

Thats what I have been doing and have it down to two....but was open for other ideas....I think I may start working on some gumpaste flowers....hehe

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:15am
post #8 of 22

I absolutely love cheesecake so for my bday that's what I made and I just poured ganache over it. It was fantastic.

madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:23am
post #9 of 22

I make cheesecake (New York Style) every Holiday for my son. I found a great recipe by Emeril that I use......oh yummy icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:30am
post #10 of 22

This is the one I tried and it's really good. Maybe I'll check out Emeril's too so I can compare.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chantals-New-York-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx

The only thing I did different was I used oreo cookies for my crust instead of the graham crackers.

Just talking about it makes me want one now. Maybe I'll make it this weekend.....

Elise87 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:36am
post #11 of 22

maybe if you do a cheesecake you can play around with chocolate if you want and maybe do some chocolate leaves or pipe some like chocolate hearts let them dry and arrange around the edge of the top or something

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:54am
post #12 of 22

I too take the chance to do something I've been wanting to try. It'll give you a good chance to practice & also if it turns out well enough "for your liking" you can take a pic & add it to your portfolio. It'll give you a chance to try some challenging techniques & learn from them---what you would do different next time.

I did this for an Alheizemer's (sp?) benefit. I've been dying to make gumpaste flowers & a shoebox/highheel. So, perfect! It'll raise money, someone's gonna be eating some good cake & hopefully bring some orders my way. But it gave me a chance & your bday will do the same. I challenged myself & I am very pleased w/ the outcome. I think you'll be surprised what you can accomplish

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 22

I had this same problem back in May for my birthday. It took me months to figure it out. I would start on a design then change my mind. This is what I finally did. I had so much fun making this cake. The butterflies are not sugar.
LL

chefaddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefaddie Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 22

you could always do something simple like a present or a shopping bag

madgeowens Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:30am
post #15 of 22

What you guys call simple is a nightmare for me lol...I just tried gumpaste roses....took forever to make two and they are not the best....but I am making them for on a cake, not sure what it will be yet, but it will be something I have yet to do...like the flowers lol.....ugh....unless I think they are too bad haha

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #16 of 22

I also agonised over my birthday cake, I have never made one for myself however given that this year was a 'special' birthday, I figured I would make one. I tossed between so many ideas. The idea hit me as I was making my cappucino that morning (the week before my birthday) - I told my husband, i am the cake lady so I get the biggest cake! Good luck with choosing, I agree with everyone, find some design or technique that you have been wanting to try and make it your own!!

Best of luck,

PS. here is a photo of my cake!

PPS. chefbarbie0513........ I love your cake - it's great!
LL

madgeowens Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #17 of 22

wow what a great cake..........mine will never be as good as yours or chefbarbies, awesome...........it will be simple but with gumpaste flowers, I have not done a cake with a bunch of flowers and not made roses with gp yet, so I am working on that...thanks so much...you girls are way better than me.

madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:06am
post #18 of 22

what I am working on so far
LL

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #19 of 22

Those roses are beautiful - would love to see the finished product
Best of luck !

madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #20 of 22

Thank you makeitmemorable

madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:12am
post #21 of 22

I can only see the mistakes.........one day I hope to make one as beautiful as Edna.....I can dream can't I? lol

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #22 of 22

you could make what you want for the bottom cake but i'd get a real piggy bank cover it in fondant with a really big slot in it. so you can hear the money going it, and leave a part open like a window and be sure and put a dollar inside. hey you would be able to buy more products for cake decorating. or made the bottom with bad borders, droopy flowers, uneven swags, and put on maybe i need to take a class by the way Happy Birthday

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%