2-D Cake Prices?

Business By jphillips1024 Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm by Mindy1975

jphillips1024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jphillips1024 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone let me know if gave too high of a quote? The lady wanted a 2-D purse shaped cake with 45-50 servings. Here is the email I sent her:

-Basic designed 2-D carved cakes feeding 35-45 people(servings depend on how large or small you slice the cake) start at $70.00
-If additional servings are needed, cupcakes can be purchased for $11.00 per dozen or $6.00 per 1/2 dozen. The cupcakes will match the overall colors and theme of the birthday cake.
-The "smash" cake will be free of charge with purchase of birthday cake.
-Delivery is free, up to 15 miles.

Any advice is appreciated!

7 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #2 of 8

You mean 3D don't you?

jphillips1024 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:53am
post #3 of 8

I have only heard it reffered to as 2-d for a cake that will lay flat but be shaped.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:06am
post #4 of 8

WOW! $6 for 6 cupcakes?! A dollar a cupcake?! Can I buy them from you and resell them at my price. Yeah, I wouldn't mind buying the cake purse and resell it at my prices as well. So as you can see I think you seriously underpriced your cake. icon_biggrin.gif My 3-D cakes start at $150 & most cupcakes start at $3...for ONE cupcake that is. By the way I have to pay for my gas and keep up the maintence, so delivery is NEVER free.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 8

Your prices are crazy cheap.

If I take a knife to the cake at all, then the price is $5-6 per serving.

Cupcakes are $2.75 for a simple swirl of bc on top. ANYTHING more and it's $3. Some crazy design that I don't particularly want to do are $6-8. icon_smile.gif

Smash cakes are not free, as I had to buy the flour and eggs to make them. If you've found a supplier of free ingredients, please share the name with the rest of us. It will make my expenses so much more manageable.

And since my car runs on gas and needs an oil change every so often, delivery is never, and will never be, free.

jphillips1024 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:44am
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much for your help! I have changed all of my prices.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:06am
post #7 of 8

When people ask for a carved cake (I try to avoid using terms like "2-D" and "3-D" because as illustrated above, there is confusion on what those are), I tell them "$150 to start and that's before I even pick up a pencil or find out what you want." It weeds out the "I want a Duff cake for twenty bucks" people.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 8

most definetely! I quote the $150 to start right off the bat before we waste any more of each other's time! My favorite is when they want it to serve like 75 people. And, they want it carved, AND they only wanted to pay like $35.00 for it. lol My biggest struggle of all though is getting people to see that a tiered party cake is no different than a tiered wedding cake. Same work, same cake flavor, icing, details, whatever! I dont' understand why they think a three tiered "party" cake would only be something like $75.00!! I just immediately refer them to someone else. I guess it's up to us to educate them. I really do feel that sometimes those cake shows on t.v. hurt us more than help our businesses because the one thing they never show people is how much people are actually paying for those cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%