Trying To Make A Mirror

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm by matthewkyrankelly

d3sc3n7 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 12

Hey guys, I'm trying to make a mirror, in a silver color. I have silver pearl dust, but Im not thinking that its going to do the trick. I'm using GP by the way. I've not seen silver color paste before and was at hobby lobby today, with no luck.

Any thoughts here?

11 replies
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 12

Sure. Use the dust + a clear alcohol based product (like vodka or clear vanilla) to make edible paint.

FudgeQueen Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #3 of 12

May I ask how is the mirror going to be used? If you have time enough to get what i used it may help....I bought "Mirror on a Roll" ...not a name brand but thats the description....its flexible and you can cut it to whatever size you want....IYou just peel it off like contact paper and stick it to whatever you want... used it on the jewelry box cake i made(in my gallery)...worked great!!!

d3sc3n7 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #4 of 12

Where did you find that?

I have until saturday afternoon to have the cake done.

FudgeQueen Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:39am
post #5 of 12

I got it on Amazon for about $20

Bonnell Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #6 of 12

Why not try making a gelatin sheet and paint the side that will be the bottom with silver pearl dust diluted in alcohol? That's essentially how real mirrors are made; glass painted with silver on one side. I have used the gelatin to make lenses in my GP glasses and it works great (have to pour it real thin). PM me if you need any more info.

Bonnell Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 12

On second thought, the gelatin would probably melt from the liquid but maybe try dry dusting it on. You could probably try it with the liquid if you used blotted the brush on a paper towel so that your brush is barely damp and put a very light coat, let it dry and then add another light coat, etc. Don't know if it would work or not but it could be worth a try as the gelatin is easy to make and very inexpensive.

Bonnell Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, I had a left over gelatin sheet from my last set of eyeglasses I made so I tried painting on it with the diluted luster dust. I used some silver highlighter dust that I had previously diluted. It had been sitting for a while so a lot of the alcohol had evaporated and the paint was kind of thick. I used a small amount (didn't glob it on the brush) and painted on the gelatin sheet. Worked great. Didn't melt the gelatin at all. Not sure it gave the effect of a mirror though because the gelatin sheet was so thin that it was hard to see after it was painted and the silver paint didn't have any reflection to it like a real mirror would.

d3sc3n7 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks Bonnell...I'll have to try that. I'm not looking for it to reflect like a mirror, just resemble one.

PartyCake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #10 of 12

How about using silver Dragees? It might not be the texture you are looking for though. As an alternate, why not use white chocolate and use silver dust on that?

Lee15 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:10pm
post #11 of 12

I found a silver that is sort of a "reflecting" silver - it's really shiny. Don't think I can get it to you for Saturday unless you are in or around the NYC area.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 12

Make a clear sugar shape, oval, round, etc. like a lollipop. Then put the silver past behind it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%