Modeling Chocolate Vs. Candy Clay

Decorating By mommyto4 Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 3:28am by heavenlys

mommyto4 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #1 of 5

Okay, I want to use chocolate to do some figure modeling. Cake Boss says he uses modeling chocolate. Is candy clay essentially the same thing? If not, what is a good recipe for this application? I tried to use candy clay, but it seemed too soft. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated. TIA!

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 5

It's the same thing--it has a lot of names--also chocolate plastique.

Chill it and it should get rock hard.

drakegore Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 5

chocolate clay (aka modelling chocolate and chocolate plastique) is chocolate and corn syrup. candy clay is candy melts and corn syrup.

candy clay (and white and milk chocolates) tend to have more fat in them than dark chocolate. i usually blot off some of the fat (this is just with white/milk/candy...not dark choc) before kneading, but that is my personal choice and some folks knead all of the fat back in. whatever works best for you. the extra fat does make it softer so perhaps you might want to try removing some next time.

i use and love toba garrett's recipe for modelling chocolate. it could not be easier. i use plain old garden variety nestle chocolate chips and it always turns out wonderful.

1 pound chocolate
5 fluid ounces (7.5 oz or 210 grams by weight) of light corn syrup. Please note that it isl less for white or milk, see the bottom of post (this is because these have more fat than regular chocolate)

1. Chop chocolate finely (I don't chop, i just use the chips as is) and place in a bowl over simmering water. Stir to melt chocolate evenly. When three-quarters melted, remove from heat. Continue stirring until all the pieces are melted.
2. Use a rubber spatula to stir in the corn syrup. Continue to stir until the chocolate starts to leave the sides of the bowl (about 60 seconds for dark chocolate, 20 to 30 seconds for white or milk chocolate).
3. Scrape chocolate mixture onto plastic wrap and spread out to about 1/2 inch thick. Place another piece of plastic wrap directly on top. Refrigerate or let rest in a cool place for 24 hours. (I always fridge).
4. Once aged, cut into smaller pieces. Bring to room temp. Knead thoroughly with the heels of your hands until the chocolate has elasticity and a shiny coat. Do not over-knead or chocolate will get too soft and may get grainy. Wrap in plastic wrap until ready to use.

For white or milk chocolate, use 1 oz less than you would for dark chocolate. Thus, use 4 fl. oz corn syrup or 6 oz/168 grams by weight for 1 lb. white or milk chocolate.

mommyto4 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:04am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for all the info drakegore. I truly appreciate it and will put it to good use the next time I can find the time. Thanks again.

heavenlys Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #5 of 5

Thanks looking forward to trying that recipe out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%