Smooth Rounded Edges Of Cake With Buttercream Icing

Decorating By weakness4sweets Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 2:55am by weakness4sweets

weakness4sweets Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that wants a stacked cake with buttercream icing, but wants it to resemble fondant icing...basically looking for the smooth rounded edges of the cake...make sense?

If you have suggestions on how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated. The wedding is Sat. Sept. 19th.

Thank you! icon_surprised.gif

7 replies
Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

I saw a tutorial somewhere (maybe this site?) where she makes a rounded edger scraper. Basically she cuts out the curved part of a liter pepsi bottle to make a rounded / curved bench scraper; then uses it to make a perfectly rounded top edge. I haven't tried this personally because I like a crisp edge, but it looked pretty ingenious.

Hope that made sense, sorry I don't have a link for you icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbyclaire Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 8

It takes some practice, but you can do this pretty easily. I'll try to explain how I do this:
Frost your cake as usual. I use a viva paper towel under a fondant smoother to go over everything to make a super smooth finish.
Your top edges should be pretty straight and sharp at this point.
To round them, I get the paper towel and lay it over the edge of the cake. Then, I get the smoother and lightly go over the straight edge with the fondant smoother at about a 45 degree angle then tilt it down, flat against the side, then tilt it back up and then flat against the top, in a rocking motion. This will help create a rounded edge.
It helps to flatten all the straight edge part, then go back and do all of the rocking motion as you work your way around the cake.
Does that make sense? Hope that will help you..
icon_smile.gif

d3sc3n7 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 8

I'm more of a fondant guy, than a BC guy but I would say shave the edges just a bit and frost them heavy...that way you can try and get the round edge your looking for

weakness4sweets Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 8

Thank you for all the suggestions...I will try them and hope for the best! They all are awesome tips! thanks a million!

SugarFrosted Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #6 of 8
BlackFlour Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:49am
post #7 of 8

They make pans that are 'contoured' in shape, which will give you that smooth curved edge, do you have those? Our local cake shop sells them, that may be an option too! HTH! icon_smile.gif

weakness4sweets Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 8

SugarFrosted, thanks so much...that tutorial was exactly what I was looking for! Much appreciated!

Cheerio623...I will check my local shop and see, thanks so much to you as well!

Hopefully all will go well and I can post this pictures this weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%