I'm New And Want To Give This Business A Try

Business By luckystar23 Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm by SliceCakeStudio

luckystar23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckystar23 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 5

Hello icon_biggrin.gif I'm new to the forum and I love it, everyone seems very friendly here.

I've always loved art and especially handmade things so I'd love to start doing cakes and build it into a business.

I'm in the Miami area and I'd love to take classes because I don't know where to start. Can someone tell me what other equipment I should get besides an oven, pans and a mixer.

Can someone from my area recommend a place to take classes at?
Any help would be really appreciated

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #2 of 5

Welcome to CC, the best resource for anything cake! I'm sure some of our Fla CC'ers will pop in here with better info than me, but you might check with Michael's Craft stores or Hobby Lobby. If there are any local cake supply shops, sometimes they hold decorating classes.

I've read on CC that Fla is not a state that licenses home bakeries, so you will most likely need to see ifyou can find a kitchen to rent or use. (I have a caterer friend who cleans a church for no pay and they let her use the kitchen for no fee.)

Be forwarned that CC is VERY addictive. No kidding! But you'll love every second of it here!

luckystar23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckystar23 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #3 of 5

Thank you very much for your reply, hopefully someone from my area will suggest something soon icon_smile.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 5

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! I would advise taking the Wilton course offered at Michael's, AC Moore. I made my first cake before I took my classes and enjoyed the classes so much, I became an instructor for 2 years and got a lot of my "practice time" during that time.

Lots of luck with your classes! princess.gif

SliceCakeStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceCakeStudio Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 5

Welcome! In my opinion, you might be best off finding a local cake supply store to see if they offer classes. Sometimes***sometimes, the Wilton instructors are not that good. It's a risk - the same could be said for anyone I think. Also, look into ICES (International Cake Exploration Societe) and see if you have a local chapter. That is a great way to find others who share your passion, and you may find a mentor!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%