Strawberry Filled, Fondant-Covered Cake

Decorating By DetailsByDawn Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm by DetailsByDawn

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,
I know this topic comes up often, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the search. I would sincerely appreciate some advice from anyone who's had some experience with this.
I am making a 4 tiered, fondant covered cake and the client wants Swiss Meringue with fresh strawberry filling (no jam or gel).
I am pretty confident that I can get the cakes filled, iced and covered on the Saturday (the event is on Sunday). Can I refrigerate the cakes, already covered in fondant and filled?
If so, how do I wrap them?
How long will the strawberries be okay in the cake?
I plan to have the cake set up at 3pm - It probably won't be cut until at least 8-9pm. It's an indoor, fall reception. Will the Swiss Meringue be okay?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm nervous about the cake - I don't normally use fresh fruit or fondant!!
I just want to thank you in advance for your help - I appreciate all your expertise and have learned so much from you all in these forums.

Dawn

8 replies
DetailsByDawn Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 9

I've been trying to get more info on other searches and I've come to the conclusion that I can and will refrigerate the cakes. Can anyone give me some advice on how to wrap and bring to room temp. Would I loosely wrap in plastic wrap and put in cake box to be put in the fridge? Then remove wrappings immediately upon removing it from the fridge. Then I leave it to come to room temp and avoid touching it? Did I get this right or should I try something else? I'll be making my trial cake this week and I want to make sure I try the right way! Thanks again - any advice? Anyone?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 9

I also have a fondant covered cake with strawberries and cream filling and was wondering the same thing! I hope you can find it out - I always hear different things about fridging fondant cakes. For the longest time the answer was no but on those tv shows, they do it all the time. And they don't wrap them either....hmm. icon_confused.gif

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 9

Hi there!

I also am doing a cake this weekend, same cake as you, and looking for answers aswell.... I see you were not fortunate enough to get any advice. Can you tell me what you did, and how it worked for you?

Thanks for your time, and any advice you may have to offer.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 9

Put your fondant-covered cake in a cardboard box and place the box in the fridge. Leave it in the box to come to room temp - don't touch the fondant until it is room temp. The cardboard helps absorb some of the moisture that forms with temperature changes. This pearl of wisdom was from a class with Bronwen....... I'm not that smart or experienced icon_lol.gif

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 9

thanks ibmoser!

bevcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevcakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 9

Hi, just came across this post and wondering if you tried putting the cake in the fridge and were successful with the results (using the cardboard box technique)? Just happens that I am making the same kind of cake. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 9

Do you put a cover on the cardboard box?

DetailsByDawn Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 9

Hi all! Yay, we're getting some interest now! Well, I still haven't done the complete trial, since I'm not meeting my client until Tuesday now, so I've just started baking/freezing. I did however do a fondant guitar cake and refrigerated it to see what happened. It formed some condensation, of course, but I didn't touch it and left it to dry. It was perfect - no running colours, no stickyness, nothing! I also tried the box method, not a cake box, but a regular cardboard box (a diaper box actually) and found that it made no difference? I think I'm comfortable refrigerating the fondant now, but I'm still worried about the strawberry filling and using the SMBC. Not sure how far in advance I can fill. I'm no professional and I'm worried about how long it might take to cover it after filling. I want to give myself enough time since it's a pretty complex design for me! Also still wondering if someone can tell us how long the SMBC filled and iced cake can sit out at room temp. I'm looking at setting up around 2pm, but it won't get cut until at least 8-9pm. Is this too long? I anticipate a reasonably air conditioned room with low humidity. Any help for us? Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%