I Did Something Really Stupid...

Decorating By cblupe Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm by kilikina_24

cblupe Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 27

I took a cake out of the oven, totally forgot it, went to friends for dinner, came home and went to bed not even going into the kitchen until the next morning. Talk about a cake stuck in a cake pan. I tried warming it up in the oven but it tore, really tore up when I tried to get it out. Rewarming didn't help. I won't make this mistake again.

26 replies
cylstrial Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 27

Aww...sorry that happened to you! But you are right, you really have to take the cake out of the pan quickly. I take mine out at 10 minutes.

cblupe Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 27

Yep, learned the hard way didn't I? I always (except once) take mine out of the pan after cooling for 10 minutes.

terrylee Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 27

I line the bottom of my pans with waxed paper. It keeps the bottom from sticking and comes out real clean and easy...

MaryAnnPriest Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 27

Definitely one of those things you do only one time. You'll never forget again. I speak from experience.... icon_wink.gif

ZAKIA6 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 27

I usually don't have a prob to leave cakes in the pan overnight. They just pop right out. I use pam w/flour.

Christen99 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 27

That bites! I line the bottom of my pans with parchment paper, and grease and flour the sides. I haven't had a cake stick yet, and at times I'm a bit distracted so the cakes don't always come out of the pan in a timely manner. I came back to a cake that I had accidentally left in the pan all day and it came out without incident.

indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:24am
post #8 of 27

Put me in the "right away" column. My cakes are trimmed and flipped out onto the cooling rack within 2 minutes of coming out of the oven.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #9 of 27

I wait 5-10 minutes...I find sometimes the cake will tear if its TOO hot, but after that amount of time, the risk of sticking is much higher.

lillermom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #10 of 27

sounds like a great excuse to make cake truffles/balls!

bemecheli Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #11 of 27

I use Baker's Joy not stick spray all the time, works great dont need to flour or need wax paper, it's a baker' best friend.

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:44am
post #12 of 27

I use Baker's Joy long with parchment paper.

heavenlys Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #13 of 27

We make cake paint at the bakery. equal parts of oil shortening and flour and mix to a creamy consistency and paint it in pans with a pastry brush. Cakes always come out. We don't flip until they are cool

xinue Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #14 of 27

I usually let then cool overnight. I just put the pan directly over the stove for a few seconds and it pops out like magic!

madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #15 of 27

use spray and parchment....can't go wrong

Kaiah723 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:15am
post #16 of 27
Originally Posted by indydebi

Put me in the "right away" column. My cakes are trimmed and flipped out onto the cooling rack within 2 minutes of coming out of the oven.

I have always thought that you have to let a cake cool before u can take it out of the pan or it will split from being too hot?? I always let my cakes sit because I am TERRIFIED they will fall apart...is there a secret or something from preventing tearing from happening when you take a cake out of the pan when it is still hot??

Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #17 of 27

Put me in the right away column too.....I have always just flipped my cakes right out the pan as soon as they come out of the oven...

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #18 of 27

I have to do 15 minutes in the pan, or maybe 20 if it's a thicker/bigger cake. Otherwise half stays in the pan.

Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:35am
post #19 of 27

I always use oven bake paper to line all my tins - even those that are non stick -

I discard the one *around* each cake - but keep the one on the bottom so as the cake is not sitting directly on any cake board....no matter if it is a foil type or waxed type board.
God knows who has touched them in the shops - and how long they have been sitting in a box somewhere - you can only wipe off so much bacteria -considering where they are made, their health regulations are not as stringent as ours.

And we all know what loves to *live* in cardboard - tapedshut.gificon_eek.giftapedshut.gificon_cry.gif
So i would rather have cakes sitting on something that is clean -
Always advise the customer of *that* bit of oven bake paper under the cake.

Mike1394 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:57am
post #20 of 27

If it happens again use a blow dryer to heat it up.

Williamus Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #21 of 27

Bluehue...OMG...I never even thought of that. I buy gold foil covered cardboard cake rounds in bulk. I keep them in a cabinet and put my cakes right on them...never even thinking that they might not be clean. Then again, on the other hand...i do have a friend that always says of these sorts of issues "everyone eats a pound of dirt in their life".

alene Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:37pm
post #22 of 27

I've always used cooking spray and lined the bottom with parchment paper. Some of you said that you line the bottom with waxed paper, didn't know you could do that. That would be cheeper than parchement.

jamiekwebb Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #23 of 27

I am a right away girl too. I use bakers joy and have never had a problem. I buy the cardboard circles and cover them with the cake foil myself , that way I know taht they are clean.

cblupe Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:37pm
post #24 of 27

I did have my pan lined with waxed paper, sprayed the pan with pam baking spray before the wax paper and after. Warmed it in the oven and it still tore up. I took a smaller cake circle and used it as a guide and made a smaller round.

I have never heard of using a blow dryer. I hope I never have to try that.

I did make cake balls out of the cake pieces and they turned out awful; what a waste of some good chocolate. icon_cry.gif I crumbled the cake with a fork, added some buttercream icing and some bailey's irish creme, rolled them into balls and stuck them in the freezer for a couple of hours then dipped them into chocolate. I didn't like to gooey consistency of them at all.
I never made them before, what did I do wrong????

Oh well, I certainly won't let a cake sit in a pan like that again!!!

Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #25 of 27

I line every tin with baking paper - my mud cakes are better if they are half cooled in the tin. After this they just slide right out and I take off the paper, no problems. Sorry to hear about your disaster.

AverageMom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:38pm
post #26 of 27

I always use parchment paper on the bottom, and nothing on the sides. I let the cakes sit for ages! No sticking problems, ever.
As for the cake balls....that is exactly what mine sounded like the one time I made them. I think perhaps people either love them or hate them...I found them revolting!

kilikina_24 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm
post #27 of 27
Originally Posted by bemecheli

I use Baker's Joy not stick spray all the time, works great dont need to flour or need wax paper, it's a baker' best friend.

ditto! I use Baker's Joy and I haven't had a problem. The only time I had a problem was when I used Crisco to grease the pan and then floured it (although it worked other times too). But, Baker's Joy hasn't let me down yet!!! I've taken my cakes out of the pan after 10 mins but most of the time they're almost completely cool when I turn those pans over!

Quote by @%username% on %date%