Has Anyone Used A Regular Real Photo To Decorate A Cake

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm by Brendabeeper

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 10

I read before that someone was going to try using a real photo either laminated or sealed someone and pipe around it on top of a cake.
Has anyone ever done this? How did it work out? any pictures of the results. Looking to try this this week HELP want to know what I'm getting into.

THANKS

9 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 10

I haven't tried this personally, but saw a similar thread a while back. Looked like a really good idea to me and some people posted pictures - I thought it looked pretty good. One caution: be sure to cut out your picture first then cut it out AROUND the picture so you don't allow any space for buttercream grease to seep into the picture. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Tobita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tobita Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 10

I've laminated pictures to put on cakes. Then I've made a border around it out of buttercream. Sorry, but I don't have pictures. It turns out fine. I usually cut out a piece of wax paper the same size as the laminated picture and put it under the picture so that the frosting doesn't come in contact with the underside of the picture. This was real popular in the "old days" of cakemaking!!

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 10

Many years ago I had a color copy made of the cover of an American Girl book and then had that laminated. I laid it on the cake and piped around it. It looked great and my daughter was thrilled. Nothing seeped in. Good luck, maybe try it with a photo you don't really care about first just to be sure.

leahsunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahsunshine Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #5 of 10

Is there any objection by the client to use an edible image? These things are pretty easy and there is no issue with removal. Some words of caution. Use the actual picture to scan at the shop creating. Hopefully they will have enough experience in doing it. I just wouldn't recommend a real pic directly on frosting. Something is simply going to stick. And if it's going to stick, make it to something edible.

Here's another idea - a take off of something I used before in a strange edible box making project. Create a frame made out of melted chocolate. This could be as simple as a slab or as elaborate as using a container to pour into lined with wax paper, and "wiggling in" a wax paper wrapped piece of cardboard to mold the same size as the photo to create an indention for the photo. Make sure the cardboard is wrapped well and taped like a nice gift and dont press in too hard. Then lay the photo on top and lift off before serving. I bet the guests will love it. And you can make the fram any color with colored white chocolate.

Just a thought.... good luck!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:52am
post #6 of 10

Unless you have a barrier that is food safe, I wouldn't do it. Plus when you take it off the cake to serve, it will really mess up the look of the cake. People use lots of things on cakes and they are not all food safe. Chemicals can leech into the food. Just don't eat what the picture touches. Make a fondant plaque or a food safe covered board to lay it on. Edible images are fairly inexpensive and people think they are cool! I get mine at a bakery supply place. Check with them sometimes they need a day or so lead time.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 10

I used an acrylic picture frame and stood it up on a cake. I put a piping of icing and then stuck in the frame. It's the graduation cake in my photos.

Everything I've read says they are food safe. Ihave glasses and shot glasses made out of the same stuff...

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:49am
post #8 of 10

It's hard for me to get edible images where I live. Out of desperation one time, i printed out the desired logo on a piece of computer paper, cut out it's outline, glued it to a sheet of 50-50 fondant/gumpaste by brushing the back of the image with edible glue, cut the fondant following the outline with a small allowance. Attached it to the side of the cake and depending on the design, left it at that or piped a small border around the plaque with royal icing. It worked very well. I do this more frequently now.

The paper is non-toxic and the computer ink is non toxic as well. I instruct my clients to remove the fondant plaque.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahsunshine

Is there any objection by the client to use an edible image? These things are pretty easy and there is no issue with removal. Some words of caution. Use the actual picture to scan at the shop creating. Hopefully they will have enough experience in doing it. I just wouldn't recommend a real pic directly on frosting. Something is simply going to stick. And if it's going to stick, make it to something edible.

Here's another idea - a take off of something I used before in a strange edible box making project. Create a frame made out of melted chocolate. This could be as simple as a slab or as elaborate as using a container to pour into lined with wax paper, and "wiggling in" a wax paper wrapped piece of cardboard to mold the same size as the photo to create an indention for the photo. Make sure the cardboard is wrapped well and taped like a nice gift and dont press in too hard. Then lay the photo on top and lift off before serving. I bet the guests will love it. And you can make the fram any color with colored white chocolate.

Just a thought.... good luck!

this is a GREAT idea!...1 post huh?...you better get cracking and post some more great ideas girl!

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 10

here is photo of results, real scanned photo with plastic sheet sleeve. placed on fondant slab so not to touch cake and could be removed. Customer didnt want expense of edible image. Customer liked the results .Thanks for all your help and advise CC is the best!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%