How Will This Turn Out??

Decorating By hbloomcamp Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm by hbloomcamp

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 10

I have a WASC cake in the oven right now...however, a few things happened in my process today. I was a bit distracted (home with a sick little boy) and forgot the vanilla and almond extract when I was adding ingredients. I also had to leave the house just after I got the batter in the pans (to head to the Dr's office), so I covered them in saran wrap and stuck them in the fridge. So the batter doesn't have all the ingredients and was refrigerated for about an hour before going in to bake.

So do I have a 'cake wreck' in the oven right now??? icon_smile.gif

9 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 10

If you WASC recipe is where you used cake mix and added to it, the only thing missing will be flavor.

I tried the wasc cake with out adding the extra vanilla and almond using DH French Vanilla mix and I found that it tasted bland and doughy...

Maybe you could soak it with some flavoring in a liquid form, that might help save the cake icon_smile.gif

Good Luck and hope this helps...

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 10

Hmmmm, tough call. Could you possibly removed the batter from the pans, re-mix (gently) with your flavorings and put in freshly prepared pans? Seems like they will be quite flavorless without them. Just a thought. Hopefully someone else will have an answer for you. Good luck!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 10

Ooops, my mistake. It's already IN the oven. icon_sad.gif

hbloomcamp Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 10

I would have taken the batter out of the pans, mixed extracts in, then back into fresh pans....if I hadn't already stuck the pans in the oven!! icon_sad.gif I was putting away things I had out on the counter and there sat my vanilla and almond.

I'm so mad that I didn't double check the recipe since I knew I'd been running around with my head cut off while I was doing it. Guh. Guess I'll just wait and see.

hbloomcamp Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 10

hmm...contemplating soaking it in a flavoring in liquid form...tequila? Rum? icon_smile.gif That's about where I am at this point!

Mokehanali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mokehanali Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:30am
post #7 of 10

Try marmalade glaze. Stir marmalade and water in a saucepan (medium heat). You could add a little rum too..mmm delicious.
Brush glaze over top of cake. Yummy.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:44am
post #8 of 10

u could make some simple syrup flavored with vanilla and almond.. equal parts sugar and water bring to a brisk boil remove let cool add flavors brush on torted layers mmmm good

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:09am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebymilan

u could make some simple syrup flavored with vanilla and almond.. equal parts sugar and water bring to a brisk boil remove let cool add flavors brush on torted layers mmmm good

That's exactly what I was going to suggest icon_smile.gif

Except I'd use a squirt bottle, and I'd torte each layer first for more surface to add flavor.

hbloomcamp Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 10

So I tried the cake yesterday. It actually isn't too bad, but needs the extracts. If it were just me eating the cake I'd probably call it good, maybe use a little simple syrup but I actually kind of like it.

thank you for all of the suggestions! I may try one or two and will most likely make another cake for Saturday. I'll write myself a BIG note about extracts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%