Hobbie Cake Decoraters!

Decorating By kitcae Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 10:42pm by jadak

kitcae Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 49

I was wondering how many people do cake decorating it for hobbie.Thanks!

48 replies
ZlatkaT Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 49

99.9% CCers????? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 49

I'm one of that 99.9%

just_for_fun Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #4 of 49

me too icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #5 of 49

I do it as a hobby as well.

FlourPots Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 49

Me as well.

xstitcher Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:48am
post #7 of 49

Add me to the list as well.

tatorchip Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 49

Me too

aquamom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 49

It's fun--it's a hobby and the creativity is endless. What more could a mom want?

Ummm besides sleep.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 49
Originally Posted by aquamom

It's fun--it's a hobby and the creativity is endless. What more could a mom want?

Ummm besides sleep.

Haha. What's sleep??

I do it for a hobby, but hoping someday to do it for big $$$

Price Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 49

Hobby for me too! I dream about doing it as a small business, but then I think, would it still be fun or would it become a hassle and a stress?

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 49

Me too...just a hobby.

If TX ever decides to legalize home baking, then I'll do it as a business. Otherwise, I think worrying about the overhead would take the fun out of it.

Peridot Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 49

I am also a hobby baker - do it for friends, co-workers and relatives. This way I can pick and choose and I do it when I want to. I don't have the money to turn my basement into another kitchen or rent a kitchen and I don't think I would want the overhead, stress and problems. It would not be fun any longer.

kitcae Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:52am
post #14 of 49

Well, I do it as 4-H and as a hobby.It's just fun!
(It's cool to see how many people do it as a hobby!)

cylstrial Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #15 of 49

Same here - although one day I want to open my own business (I'm sure a lot of you have the same thoughts).

aquamom Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #16 of 49

For those of you who plan to open their own business---good luck to you all and I hope all have people beating down your doors to order cakes and whatever confections you decided to have on your shelves.

I plan on keeping my hobby status forever--I enjoy sleeping way too much--giggle.

Elise87 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:31am
post #17 of 49

yep i do it as a hobby too. Started getting into it about November last year but havn't had that many oppotunities to do as many cakes and stuff as i would have liked to icon_sad.gif

dhccster Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:01am
post #18 of 49

I do it mainly as a hobby, but I have gotten a few orders here and there. I love being in the kitchen! icon_biggrin.gif

kaddikakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:28am
post #19 of 49

I do it as a hobby but also wondering if anyone or their family has put on weight from the all the cakes, icing, cookies, etc. I also hope someday I can be as talented as everyone on CC. Love looking at everyones pictures and hoping I can do that. icon_surprised.gif)

Molly2 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:29am
post #20 of 49

I do it as a hobby I only do it for family and friends and when I feel like it
if I did it as a job it wouldn't be fun anymore, I've never taken a class what I've learned I learned on my own though books, videos and and this website I enjoy every moment of it, I work full time in an office when I work on a cake this kind of takes me away from the work world and into my own world, I enjoy doing my own thing. When making cakes for only family and freinds they usally tell you "make me a cake when I ask how do the want it they always say just make it cute" so I get to do what I want and how I want and they are 99.9 % HAPPY with what they get.and so am I

Molly icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:53am
post #21 of 49

I do it as a hobby. I am hoping to get orders for fundraising for Team in Training, but haven't had much success at this point - trying to raise funds to do the Nike Women's 1/2 marathon in San Francisco October 2010!

cakefort Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #22 of 49

I do it as a hobby, but I am one of those who would like to do it as a part time business at some point. Still practicing, and yes, my family has never eaten so much cake! Our weight is starting to creep up a bit.

Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #23 of 49

My husband call's it a hobby that I get paid to do - I love it, it's not my main job but hope to grow bigger.

Remember - 'creativity is chocolate for the brain'............I figure the more cakes I make, the less chocolate I have to actually eat since my brain thinks it is at capacity......... that could be the new fad diet LOL! "The Creativity Diet" icon_lol.gif

megmarie Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #24 of 49

I have always baked, but now I am getting into the decorating. I got pretty encouraged on this site to consider doing it as a side business someday when I got better at it - a LOT better - but then I did a birthday cake for my mom's friend and pretty much had a mental breakdown stressing over it - so needless to say I doubt it will ever be more than a fun hobby.

ncbert Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #25 of 49

Hobbist here,for family and friends.

JGMB Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #26 of 49
Originally Posted by MARYBETH09

I do it as a hobby but also wondering if anyone or their family has put on weight from the all the cakes, icing, cookies, etc. icon_surprised.gif)

Oh, yeah!!! icon_redface.gif I gained 11 pounds in as many months, just eating my own baked goods. So, I now "take orders." Although I never want to own a business, and my state won't let me get paid for homebaked goods, I'm still baking every week for people.

They tell me what they want, I make it, and they make a donation to our local food pantry. Two different families gave $100 in my honor!! Others usually give about $25. I figure it's a win/win/win situation. People get their treats, I get to bake without gaining weight, and the pantry gets money.

I did a cake on Sunday, am in the midst of doing 6 today, and have an order from my friend's bank in downtown Chicago for 36 train cookies for next Wednesday. So, it keeps me busy! icon_smile.gif

sugalips Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #27 of 49

HOBBY. My daughter and I started by decorating cookies to send to my son and his fellow soldiers when he was in Iraq. Any holiday or reason we could find we were shipping goodies. We enjoy baking together and decorating and maybe someday could make a profit, but for now, as I look at all your pictures of fantastic cakes compared to my "wannabees" icon_redface.gif ... stick with the fun factor! icon_biggrin.gif

Shelle_75 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #28 of 49

I'm also one that currently does it as a hobby, but hopes to turn it into a business one day, as well. My youngest is 14 months, and once she hits preschool/kindergarten I plan to "take it up a couple notches"!!

cakeinthebox4U Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #29 of 49

Me too - right now just a hobby. I do cakes for friends and family when they ask but that's it. I'm a stay-at-home mom and I find loosing myself in decorating helps keep me sane! icon_lol.gif

jopooh Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:01pm
post #30 of 49

Hobby...sometimes I forget and think I want to do it as a business then I read the posts and change my mind. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%