Best Cake Decorating Tip Ever?

Decorating By newmansmom2004 Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 12:33am by solascakes

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 67

Just wondering what is the best tip or trick you've been given that has completely revolutionized the way you make or decorate cakes? Has someone given you that one special idea or tip that has made your cake decorating life easier, better, more interesting???

66 replies
KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 67

One of the things that I loved learning about was smoothing my buttercream with a roller. I always dreaded smoothing my buttercream, but the roller makes it so fast and easy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 67

Amen! I bow to Melvira the Goddess ever since I learned the roller method. THE best tip EVER!

I would add when I learned that moving my hand FAST when doing scrolls and cornelli lace (instead of trying to go SLOW and CAREFUL) was much better.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 67

I learned from a fellow CCer that when making colored MMF, mix the food coloring in w/ the melted marshmallows. This method eliminates kneading the coloring into the finished MMF saving me lots of time and effort.

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 67

The first tip I ever got was the best

"Have fun first, worry about the cake second"

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #6 of 67

So far, the best tip I've found is using a royal icing transfer (RIT), instead of trying to create an image freehand on the top of a cake. I learned about it from cakehelp (Sara) in one of the forums.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-648450.html

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 67

I think it was Gemini who posted this tip:
To make black icing for cookie outlining, combine all your leftover icings (all colors) to make a murky color, then add as much black food coloring as you need to get true black. You don't waste the small amounts of icing, and you don't need to use lots of food coloring.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #8 of 67

My favorite tips are how to use the icer tip and how to smooth buttercream with a Viva paper towel. Both tips came from my Wilton Course I instructor 22 years ago. I use both skills on every cake I make.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #9 of 67

When transporting cakes or cup cakes put tacky shelf paper in the bottom of the box and on the floor of the car where the box will be placed. Great success with getting cakes and cupcakes transported safely.

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:03am
post #10 of 67

All of the tips I have ust read are really cool. I will have to try all of them.

Sorry, I have nothing to add though... Oh wait... I haven't tried it yet, but I read that if you use King Arthur black cocoa powder to make chocolate buttercream, it comes out BLACK to where you don't have to add food coloring!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:03am
post #11 of 67

Sugarshacks smoothing techniques. Hands down.

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:16am
post #12 of 67

Okay... I actually thought of something that I HAVE tried, but it has to do with the baking of a large cake. I absolutely do not like that heating core. Instead, after I spray my pan, I spray my metal flower nail, turn it upside down and put in the center of the pan (or use more than one and position evenly) then spray the rest of the nail. Then I pour my batter around it, making sure that it doesn't come up and then bake the cake. It worked beautifully!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:25am
post #13 of 67

Oh yes, me too with the flower nails. I use several in the larger cakes!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:26am
post #14 of 67

my best tip came from cc and it was to put icing bag into a drinking glass, tip down, roll bag over glass and fill with icing. I love that tip

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:59am
post #15 of 67

Jeff Arnett's upside down method. I don't use crusting icings or fondant, only meringue icings. It works great with IMBC, SMBC or mousseline. Jeff if you are reading this, you rock!

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #16 of 67

I think my best tip for black icing is to buy canned chocolate frosting (pillsbury or DH), add PS to it (too stiffen) and then add black coloring. Love that idea. You won't have to use very much black coloring to achieve the black.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #17 of 67

I love the icing plugs! Use them all the time. Eliminates the icing coming out of the top of the bag and so easy to clean up.

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:37pm
post #18 of 67

When making roses I use a Hershey Hug for the core center. It eliminates having to use the large round tip for the core and using up another bag. I use the hug cause the top of it is always white. I store them in the freezer and pull out how ever many I need for a cake. Plus people like the surprise of the Kiss in the middle more than gobs of frosting.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #19 of 67

I love the Hershey Hug idea.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by KODYSMOM

One of the things that I loved learning about was smoothing my buttercream with a roller. I always dreaded smoothing my buttercream, but the roller makes it so fast and easy!

I have always hated doing a smooth bc cake because it was so tedious trying to get it smooth. I can't wait to try this method. Thank you.

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #21 of 67

Hello everyone. I love this thread. I think it was a great way for us all to share some really great tricks of the trade. I wanted to share two tips that i have picked up along the way. I always have a problem with my cakes baking leveled and Sandy Shepard's video on monkeysee.com showed how you can take a clean small towel and place it directly over your cake and press down all around the cake, so it levels your cake before it cools completely (no cutting). Tried it and it worked like a charm. Also thanks to one of the great posters here on CC, they shared some videos from famous decorators on Satin Ice and Collete Peters used piping gel to hold drapes in place on a cake. I love that trick.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Sugarshacks smoothing techniques. Hands down.

Me too totally love her

I also use the flower nail, but they are also, some cool ideas on here that I have to try, I totally forgo,t about the icing plug have to try it

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnincakes

I love the icing plugs! Use them all the time. Eliminates the icing coming out of the top of the bag and so easy to clean up.

AMEN!! thumbs_up.gif

Ever since I learned that trick, I've never looked back on filling up an icing bag without it!! icon_wink.gif FABULOUS!! thumbs_up.gif

And SUGARSHACK....it's the only method I use (I have tried Melvira's method) - I really like Melvira's method...I just have to incorporate it more!! This thread is really great!! icon_biggrin.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCakeDiva

Also thanks to one of the great posters here on CC, they shared some videos from famous decorators on and Collete Peters used piping gel to hold drapes in place on a cake. I love that trick.

You are welcome, I never thought that post made it, to the forum because no one replied, if anyone else is interested, it is

http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm

there are some neat tips and tricks from famous decorators

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm
post #25 of 67
Quote:

Hello everyone. I love this thread. I think it was a great way for us all to share some really great tricks of the trade. I wanted to share two tips that i have picked up along the way. I always have a problem with my cakes baking leveled and Sandy Shepard's video on monkeysee.com showed how you can take a clean small towel and place it directly over your cake and press down all around the cake, so it levels your cake before it cools completely (no cutting). Tried it and it worked like a charm. Also thanks to one of the great posters here on CC, they shared some videos from famous decorators on and Collete Peters used piping gel to hold drapes in place on a cake. I love that trick.

I saw that link last week and can't seem to located it now...if you know the link could you please PM it to me...Thank you

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Quote:

Also thanks to one of the great posters here on CC, they shared some videos from famous decorators on and Collete Peters used piping gel to hold drapes in place on a cake. I love that trick.

You are welcome, I never thought that post made it, to the forum because no one replied, if anyone else is interested, it is

http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm

there are some neat tips and tricks from famous decorators

LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #27 of 67

[quote="klat7292"]

Quote:

What are icing plugs?

learnincakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:09pm
post #28 of 67

[quote="sugaah"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by klat7292

Quote:

What are icing plugs?

There are instructions on this site for them. I am not great at searching this stuff out or I would try to find it for you. But there are pictures that show exactly how to do them, which I think would be better than me trying to explain. Sorry

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #29 of 67

[quote="learnincakes"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by klat7292

Quote:

What are icing plugs?

There are instructions on this site for them. I am not great at searching this stuff out or I would try to find it for you. But there are pictures that show exactly how to do them, which I think would be better than me trying to explain. Sorry

Is this what you mean by icing plugs.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38404.html

learnincakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #30 of 67

That is it! Thank you for finding it. I love using them and for storing my icing. I use stretch tight plastic wrap, it clings better than most. I tried glad and it did not cling well enough. You will amazed how nicely these work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%