How Far In Advance Do You Start To Decorate Wedding Cakes

Decorating By sweetcakesII Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm by sweetcakesII

sweetcakesII Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesII Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 8

I have never done a really huge wedding cake before, so how far in advance do you start to bake and assemble the cakes? How do you store them while in the process of decorating them. It just seem's like too much work to do a 5 tier cake two days before the wedding.

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 8

I've never done a wedding cake but I've made tiered cakes that look like wedding cakes. I guess the design will affect the process. Is it time consuming? How big are the tiers?

I personally start fondanting 2-3 days before the event and then decorate until the event date.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 8

You can bake the cakes ahead of time and freeze them. You can also make the fondant in advance (assuming you're making your own), and any decorations that need to be dried before they go on the cake, like fondant or gumpaste flowers, can be made and stored.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 8

I did a 5-tier cake last weekend (Sat). Mom (friend of mine) came over Tuesday and we baked the cake and put it in the freezer. I pulled it out on Thursday and did the crumb coat ... let it sit and settle overnight (on my counter ... I don't refrigerate my cakes). Iced it Friday. Had I been able to do any decorating on Friday, I would have done it then, but I had to wait and decorate after assembly on sat. Delivered it 4:00 on Saturday, added the cherry blossom design (took less than 30 minutes to set up, add borders, add cherry blossom design). Mom tells me she got TONS of compliments on the cake's design and taste! (YAY!)

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

Can a wedding cake that has to "travel" be totally finished on Wed for a Fri. wedding??

sweetcakesII Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for your help. That helps answer some of my questions. I have always been confused as to how long a cake will stay fresh while you decorate it.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey0522

Can a wedding cake that has to "travel" be totally finished on Wed for a Fri. wedding??

Absolutely, In fact, I think they are more stable if the do set for a couple of days!!

sweetcakesII Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 8

If they are decorated that far out, they do not loose the moistness? Thank you to everyone that has replied. It really helps to get everyones opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%