Phraseology

Business By karateka Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm by karateka

karateka Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 7

After reading a bunch of posts about dissatisfied brides, I'm adding a bit to my contract about bringing back cake that they considered "inedible" for any reason. For proof, you know?

My question: Or rather 2.

How do I phrase it so I don't sound like a snarky bitch?

Will it put people off to see that there? Like "how many problems does she have, that she has to put that paragraph in her contract?"

6 replies
eilidh Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 7

In the unlikely event that you may feel in anyway dissatisfied with your cake, it will be necessary for you to retain the cake. This will enable (insert company name) to validate your claim and make any refunds where deemed appropriate. No refunds will be given where the cake has not been returned to (insert company name).

Keep it simple then it can't get misconstrued! Hope that helps a bit.

karateka Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 7

Oh, that's great! Thank you. Not at all close to how I was trying to word it.

icon_lol.gif

Thanks!

costumeczar Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 7

You'd better give them a time limit, too, or they'll be bringing back decroded cake two weeks after the party.

Win Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

You'd better give them a time limit, too, or they'll be bringing back decroded cake two weeks after the party.

Absolutely a time limit. I don't sell cakes, but I am an EBay Seller. All my contracts stipulate that if an item is being returned it must be returned in its original packaging (that way I know if it was damaged in the mail) within 5 business days (allows for snail mail, but requires that act immediately if not satisfied. I would think you would want a cake returned within 24 hours of the event --that way you know if anything hinky went on with it.

KHalstead Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 7

I would definitely say it needs to be bakc within 24 hrs. of delivery/pick up.......sometimes people will try to eat all the cake that they can and then bring back what's left 4 days later and try to get some money back.

Wonder if you should say something like, refund will be based on amount of cake brought back>? i mean, what if they bring back one tier of a 4 tiered cake?? Claiming the rest was cut, but couldn't be served or something? I wonder how we would figure out how much of a discount/refund to give them?

karateka Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 7

Frankly, it does say elsewhere in my contract that once I have started baking there are no refunds for any reason. (pertains to cancellations mostly) I taste all of my cakes before I assemble them, and know they aren't dry. Also, all of my weddings have had tastings, so I can tell them "It's the same recipe you approved x months ago".

I do want to have some avenue for making sure that the cake is returned within 24 hours, and not stuck somewhere for a week during the honeymoon before they complain. Then I can't taste it and say "tastes just like when it left here, no refund". But I hate having that in the contract for the sole reason that it seems to open a window for them to complain. (Ooh...look...if I return it in 24 hours I can argue for a refund!) But I guess they will complain if they want to anyway.

I guess we can't really cover all the bases without a document the size of the US Constitution. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%