Not Sure Where To Post But I Need Advise.

Business By luvhavinbgtwins Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm by costumeczar

luvhavinbgtwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am maybe makeing a cake for a co worker...I know its for 85 people and I worked all the numbers together on what she wants and how much I will need and what I am making.
ok I came to a total for $70 plus tax on my end for everything that I would use...

Now w/out cheating myself and not over priceing either what would you say I should tell her I would charge..I know it will take a lot of my free time to bake and make all of this...

I have never done a cake this large so I didnt expect all that I needed would run this high but it does...she know she wasnt going to get a cheap cake she knew she was going to be around $100 but there is no way I could do it for $100 even...that wouldnt be worth my time...
I did call a store near us and they charged for BC 1.24 a serv.
Now it was more for Fondant...yes I am using fondant but as accents but yes that will take alot of time cutting molding and painting them

So what do you think???

Thanks so much.

2 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 3

$3 for buttercream, $4 for fondant, for 85 people cost of $255 or $340. Now you see why cakes cost what they do. The cost of ingredients & equipment to make cakes is not cheap.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 3

Estimate how long it will take you to make all the decorations, double that (It's guaranteed to take twice as long as you think), then multiply it by your hourly rate you'd expect to earn at your job. That's how much it should cost her on top of the materials. Plus add something for your time shopping, prepping, cleaning and the cost of your utilities.

If she's expecting to get a cake for 85 people for $100 she's fooling herself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%