Cake Delivery Question

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 4:37am by Lcubed82

Lcubed82 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a 4 tier (12,9,6,4) and have SPS plates to use except for the 4" (that was a change after I ordered the plates). I have free reign on this cake, so:
1. I made MFF, and it worked well on my practice cake. I have been working on smoothing BC, and finally have a handle on that. I could use either one. I had planned to use fondant, because I am terrified of the BC getting bumped, but it is alot of extra work to prepare. Your thoughts?

2. Using the SPS, can I have the 3 bottom tiers stacked to deliver, with borders, etc, done? Since the 4" won't be SPS, should I go ahead and put it on, with a center dowel holding it to the 6"? If I wait to put it on there, I would need to do the border finishing there.

I know many of you use BC, because I have been studying the galleries!! Any advice is welcome!

5 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

Just checking to see if anyone has any ideas!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 6

I just like to box my cakes for delivery to avoid a lot of the potential for harm.

I mean use what you feel most comfy with.

I'd make sure the 12 cakes was the tallest ao the other tiers don't over power the graduation in height but that's just me.

I think I would stack it all up myself beforehand. A 12" is not that big/heavy.

I'd glue the 4-incher on with icing. I mostly only center dowel for topsy turvies.

Lcubed82 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #4 of 6

I need to pick up a box- I have seen the cake shows box everything. I will start baking tomorrow, and will need to decide while doing that, so I can make MFF if I go that way.
Thanks, K8memphis!

leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 6

Actually I never box. A lot of the cake shows, well, Duff, never box for delivery. I think you're much more inclined to have damage *with* a box.

As for the SPS, I go ahead and stack the three bottom and put the 4" on top at the venue.

PS I *never* design a cake with anything other than a 6" top. I'm using SPS all the time!

Lcubed82 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:37am
post #6 of 6

Thanks leah_s! The little 4" on top is for fun. I misfigured servings for 100, and got SPS for 14-12-9-6. Then read on CC- you were one of the posters- that I didn't need the 14. I decided to put the 4 on top so we could still have 4 layers.

What are your thoughts on BC vs fondant? I am so worried about bumping the BC, but it would be easier to prep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%