Traveling Cakes

Decorating By splymale Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 4:15pm by splymale

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 6

How many days in advance would you make a cake that has to travel for another day or so for a shower, etc.?
Like the shower is on a sat., but they have to leave on thurs.
it would most likely be buttercream, no cream fillings.
I am unsure about the freshness of the cake if I made it on wed. of that week.
Any suggestions?

5 replies
Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 6

I've made lots of my cakes on Wednesday night, decorate Thursday and they aren't eaten until Saturday and Sunday, and still get told that they are super moist. (My brother has even eaten leftovers of one more than a week later and said it still wasn't dry).

I use WASC and pudding in every mix.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 6

Cake is easily good for 5 days. Probably longer. In fact all the "old time cake ladies" around here say that cake is BEST on the third day.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 6

Ditto the "old cake ladies". Just make sure the cake is well wrapped and kept cool...don't stop at the outlet malls "for just a second" and leave your cake in a closed car in 100 degree heat. If it will kill a puppy.....

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 6

I have to agree about cake being best 2-3 days after baking if it has been handled properly. I find the flavors really develope after a couple of days - especially in my chocolate cake. It is good when it is first baked but it is to die for 2 days later.

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6

so, after I give it to the customer, say on a Thursday, can it sit in the box until Sat? I would hesitate to recommend refrigeration, I think the cake would dry out. I'm not sure how to wrap a cake after it is decorated. I could wrap the box in plastic wrap?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%